MFD display won't turn off...

02 Polaris Virage 700. The ski runs great. All the elec appear to be working properly. However, when I'm finished riding and pull out the lanyard, the display panel (gas,oil,distance,etc) stay on for an infinite amount of time. Looking over the diagram, it appears the yellow wire from the stator is used to turn off the display. Can someone advise me on what to check for ?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Clock will stay on always, as will other parts of the display. This is normal, and it does not cause a battery drain problem.

Multi-Function Display (MFD)

You can check that the MFI is 'sleeping'. Let it sit for more than five minutes with no user activity.

Then press the MFI Display button. If the speedometer dial goes full sweep, and the LCD display 'lights up', then the MFI was sleeping.

MFI display

Nothing turns off. The entire display stays on... Isn't the yellow wire from the stator suppose to loss power after 5min and allow the display to go into sleep mode? The yellow wire stays hot and never losses power.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The yellow wire will have dc volts when not running, and a/c volts when running. The a/c volts trigger the display to wake up.

MFI display

Makes sense... So what alerts the MFI to go into sleep mode? I replaced the entire CDI box, just because I had an extra one, and still the same problem.

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    The lack of a/c current starts the countdown for the display to go to sleep.

I'd rather have a display that wouldn't go to sleep than one that won't wake up. I do happen to have one that won't wake.

MFI display

I appreciate the help. Is there a way to troubleshoot? From what I understand, your saying that one of the wires provided a/c power directly to the MFI display. After the motor turns off the ac power slowly dwindles down to 0v. At that point the display goes into sleep mode. I'm assuming that the AC power is provided by the stator? If that's the case then maybe there's a bad capacitor in the stator? I'm I on the right track? If so, does anyone know the specifics (wire color, capacitor location, etc)

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdave4 View Post
    ...Is there a way to troubleshoot?

From what I understand, your saying that one of the wires provided a/c power directly to the MFI display...
    What exactly is the problem?

The MFI continually monitors the Yellow wire for the RPM signal from the stator charging coil.

Every time the engine stops turning, the RPM signal goes away immediately. The MFI begins the five minute sleep countdown any time there is no RPM signal.

If nothing happens for the next five minutes, the display goes into sleep mode. The clock and other stuff stays visible.

If you press any MFI button, or the engine starts turning (even cranking), the MFI resets the five minute internal timer.

As long as the engine is turning, or there is any button activity, the MFI will continue to stay awake. Five minutes after the activity stops, the display switches to low power 'sleep mode'.

You can read more about how the MFI display works - click this;
    Multi-Function Display (MFD)

Thread Information