Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Too many toys, not enough time snoopy'sbitch's Avatar

780 no spark, tested and need opinion

Ok, so the background goes like this. A friend last year was using my ski and the magneto wires all burned up for some reason. I parked it, and got a used magneto and just got around to putting it in. I went to start it, adn I currently have no spark. I did a search and found very good info from K447.

Magneto stator coils
    Red/Purple to Yellow: 0.6 ohms (Alternator coil - battery charging)
    Red/Purple or Yellow to Black: Infinite/open/no connection
    White/Yellow to Black: 220 ohms (Trigger coil)
    Blue/Red to Red/White: 90 ohms (Pulser coil)
    Red/White to Black: Infinite/open/no connection
    Red/White to Green/Red: 490 ohms (Exciter coil)

Black stator wire grounding check
    Disconnect the wires from the battery negative, then check Black stator wire ohms to the end of the heavy Black battery wire, and separately to the end of the smaller Black battery wire (if you have one). Both measurements should be under 1.0 ohms, and very close to zero ohms.

I measured all the wires, and all were pretty close. My question is how do I know that even though the trigger is 210 ohms, that it is telling cdi to spark. 210 is what I recorded on mine. I am confident that the magneto probably destroyed my cdi, but would like to know if anyone has an idea as to why. the mag coils all looked ok upon removing, but all the wires were melted going all th way to the cdi. Thanks in advance, and please let me know if you have a good used one for me. I will also post in the WTB section. Mark

Hmmmmm, all the wires between the Electronics box and the stator were fried?

I think (I.M.H.O.) since the stator is the energy producer and the electronics box distributes/controls that energy, the CDI or electronics box shorted out and took out the magneto/stator.

Did you check the rectifier? That little bastard has some decent power handling capabilities and could have taken out your stator.

Quote Originally Posted by frobate View Post
    Hmmmmm, all the wires between the Electronics box and the stator were fried?

I think (I.M.H.O.) since the stator is the energy producer and the electronics box distributes/controls that energy, the CDI or electronics box shorted out and took out the magneto/stator.

Did you check the rectifier? That little bastard has some decent power handling capabilities and could have taken out your stator.

Great idea. Where is the rectifier and how do you test? I read another post while I was using the search function, adn another member (dont remember who) had a 780 with no spark. I am unsure if he ever solved the problem of no spark, but upon his disasembly of the stator, he mentioned that he had oil in the stator housing. I also had some at the bottom of the housing, and I am now second guessing myself as to if I should have at least replaced the crank seal. I didnt see a reason why oil would be there, so I wiped it up, and put the new stator in. What do you think I should have done with that, and could that have caused my frying of all the wires

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You sure that ALL the wires were melted the same?

One known failure is for the Black wire in the stator wire bundle to overheat. The Black wire would be burned much more than the other stator wires in this case.

If the Black wire is the most badly burned, then the cause is usually a missing or damaged plastic cover over the battery. If the battery shorts to the metal case of the electrical box, the Black stator wire ends up carrying the short circuit current, and it burns out.

If this is what has happened to your machine, then often some of the other Black wires inside the electrical box are also burned out, and need to be replaced.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Did you install the lanyard? Or try bypassing the kill switch?

How charged is your battery? What's it reading for voltage as you crank it over?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

One known failure is for the Black wire in the stator wire bundle to overheat. The Black wire would be burned much more than the other stator wires in this case.

If the Black wire is the most badly burned, then the cause is usually a missing or damaged plastic cover over the battery. If the battery shorts to the metal case of the electrical box, the Black stator wire ends up carrying the short circuit current, and it burns out.

If this is what has happened to your machine, then often some of the other Black wires inside the electrical box are also burned out, and need to be replaced.

Stating that all the wires burned was pretty stupid on my part. I dont have a black wire going to the staor, but upon looking at the wires, I would say that the blue with red tracer was the worst of all. I see it on the wiring diagram, but not to sure what it really does

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Did you install the lanyard? Or try bypassing the kill switch?

How charged is your battery? What's it reading for voltage as you crank it over?

I did. I used the search, and disconnected the lanyard to be safe. I guess I should have updated what I found since originally posting. I bypassed the lanyard, checked all the stator wires, and still have no spark. I tested wire that powers all the coils, and have about 2 volts, clearly not enough to make make spark from the coils. This ski ran great until the burned wire, and figures a stator would get me cruising again. Out of 3 ski's, I only have one working somewhat well. The one with the most broken toys wins

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

The black wire comment bothered me, as I remembered the black wire from the new stator. Um, maybe that wass the worst of all the wires, as I see where it passes throught the rubber plug, but it seems to be almost completely gone. My rubber mat wasn't beautiful, and has a small rip in it, but I put the rip away from thbattery terminals. Anything is possible at this point. Any ideas on no spark, and no 12 volts to the coil while cranking?

Anyone? I'm trying to get what I need to be out on the lake. Just need an opinion on what i do with my couple problems. Thanks all

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    The CDI fires the coils. Do you have another KNOWN GOOD CDI you can try?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information