gp1200r running fine then cut off while riding

I've got a 2000 gp1200r with 50 hours on it. I've put 10 hours on it since i got it and has ran fine. Once before the warning light came on with oil flashing meter so i changed the oil. Today i was out and warning light goes off and nothing shows up on the gauge so i press reset to turn it off and think nothing of it while i keep riding. I start it back up an hour later and after a mile it shutfs off like its out of fuel, i was on one bar, so i put reserve on and it started up and shut off again. This happened two more times until it shut off for good and would no longer turn over, at all. At this point it died in the water and wouldn't turn over to crank and the gauge wouldn't show anyithing. what could be going on? I can take it to a shop down the street but I'd like to fix it myself if i can to save money and learn some things about my ski. Any help is appreciated.

battery?

i know if the machine over heats it wont let you start it untill it cools down.

please tell me you didnt tow it to shore.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 00gprNC View Post
    I've got a 2000 gp1200r with 50 hours on it. I've put 10 hours on it since i got it and has ran fine. Once before the warning light came on with oil flashing meter so i changed the oil. Today i was out and warning light goes off and nothing shows up on the gauge so i press reset to turn it off and think nothing of it while i keep riding. I start it back up an hour later and after a mile it shutfs off like its out of fuel, i was on one bar, so i put reserve on and it started up and shut off again. This happened two more times until it shut off for good and would no longer turn over, at all. At this point it died in the water and wouldn't turn over to crank and the gauge wouldn't show anyithing. what could be going on? I can take it to a shop down the street but I'd like to fix it myself if i can to save money and learn some things about my ski. Any help is appreciated.
    Did you check you check your oil level after the ski died? The oil pumps can fail and cause you not to get oil into your engine or an oil line can slip or come pop off the carbs. Best bet right now is to do a compression test. The oil lights only come on these ski's when its low on oil or not getting oil.

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar
    What do u mean u changed the oil. Did you mean u add oil to the tank to bring the level back up and I know this is a stupid question but did you put 2 stroke oil back in the tank. You just have 2 give people here more info if you need them 2 help u

I added yamalube to it because it was low and i checked it and it was up to the right level. I had to have it towed to shore by the coast guard it was less than a half mile and it was starting to pour rain. 'm just waking up and I'm bout to look into the problem see if i cant get it running. I dont think it could be anything major because it shut off, came on, shut off, came on, and shut off for good with the gauge off and no turnover what so ever.

Kid In A Adult Body sandman7793's Avatar

Thumbs down

One thing about a oil tank is you dont fill all the time and at some point you will forget about it. I was out this weekend and my gp800 is premixed so there was no problem with that one but my 2000 gp 1200 is not and i forgot to fill the tank and 3 hrs into my mangrove adventure the alarm started going off so we had to get back to the dock and fill it up. So needless to say i will either go premix or fill ever time i get fuel. Hopefully you did not get air in the lines and then run it

Problem fixed. I would have found it in the water if i would have popped the seat off. The block you hook your battery terminal cable to ripped off so it was no longer able to stick to the batter. Easy fix, I will probably just buy a new battery so i don't have to rig this battery back together and worry about it breaking again. Just letting everyone know problem is fixed, thanks guys.

Jason

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 00gprNC View Post
    Problem fixed. I would have found it in the water if i would have popped the seat off. The block you hook your battery terminal cable to ripped off so it was no longer able to stick to the batter. Easy fix, I will probably just buy a new battery so i don't have to rig this battery back together and worry about it breaking again. Just letting everyone know problem is fixed, thanks guys.

Jason
    Good to hear thats all it was!

Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    Did you check you check your oil level after the ski died? The oil pumps can fail and cause you not to get oil into your engine or an oil line can slip or come pop off the carbs. Best bet right now is to do a compression test. The oil lights only come on these ski's when its low on oil or not getting oil.
    havent seen an oil pump fail before, maybe oil lines, or air in oil lines (not bled properly when worked on) but never a Yamaha oil pump failure.
    And I have seen just a couple of oil pumps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    havent seen an oil pump fail before, maybe oil lines, or air in oil lines (not bled properly when worked on) but never a Yamaha oil pump failure.
    And I have seen just a couple of oil pumps
    I thought they had failed Thanks for the info.

Thread Information