1999 SLX 1050 Limp Mode?

I have a 1999 SLX 1050 that ran great last year. This year when I put it in the water it ran fine for a few weekends and then out of the blue it seemed to get about half the power.

I will crank and ital fine but has just enough power to get it planed out on the water and will not get much over 4500 RPMs. I can run it like that and then all of the sudden it is like you hit a turbo button and jumps up to around 6700 RPMs and runs normal for a while and the goes back to 4500.

I have had the carbs cleaned and new plugs put in. I drained the gas tank and cleaned out what little trash I seen in it.

I have no alarm lights and the fuel and oil levels are good.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Kip

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click below for useful info.

Exactly what was done to the carbs?
    Where they dis-assembled and rebuilt?

Any other service history?

History

The carbs were only cleaned and not disassembled.

This is the 2nd year I have owned the ski and no major repairs have been done to my knowledge.

It ran fine until this year. Now it runs fine for a while over 6000 rpms then all of the sudden drops to mid 4000 rpms. It will stay this way for 10 min. or so then kick in and run normal.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kip4500 View Post
    The carbs were only cleaned and not disassembled.

This is the 2nd year I have owned the ski and no major repairs have been done to my knowledge.

It ran fine until this year. Now it runs fine for a while over 6000 rpms then all of the sudden drops to mid 4000 rpms. It will stay this way for 10 min. or so then kick in and run normal.
    Have a look at this;
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

The problem could be electrical/ignition, but my first suspicion is fuel system.

If you still have the original gray Tempo fuel lines, and the carbs have not been cleaned internally, then that is a good place to start.

Be careful riding until the problem is fixed. If it is fuel starvation due to clogging, you risk damaging the engine from lean burn, which can melt holes through the pistons.

Thanks

I do still have the Tempo lines and when I drained the gas tank there was a little bit of trash in the bottom of the tank that I was able to remove.

When it happens I turn it off and back on. Sometimes it runs fine after that but most times it lags or bogs coming out of the hole.

It seems the more the ski move around for instance cutting up doing hard turns or in ruff water that this seems to happen.

Does this unit have a limp mode and if so is that the same as a learner mode and can it be disabled?

Thanks,

Thread Information