XP NUT

Carb Tuning Questions 800 XP 96

Hola all, I am excited that everyone here has been so cool. I have been in and out of the water today tuning my 800 XP and understand the tuning by the pro's and have read it all to the T. I have a picky couple of questions if anyone can help. If there were a mechanic working on my boat he would probably give it back and say DONE. but I have 2 other skis (96 XP's Also) to compare it too that are exact in every way. I have a lets say lack of power jump at throttle pull, no stutter smooth acceleration. The whole mid is powerful, and the top end raps out like it should. The top end is not as fast, not like my other two skis. I just rebuilt the stock carbs, and I did a good job like always, I have not done anything else to the motor, the pump is fresh and so is the wear ring. It almost feels like a weak engine, that runs great! I have 150lbs on each cylinder. I am boggled. My top speed was not as fast as my other XP next 2 me with 2 people on it. Something is wrong. Runs excellent though. HELP!

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I had the same thing happen to my cousin's 96 yesterday. As I changed all the fuel lines and did her carbs last year...I'm very confident the fuel selector switch is restricting fuel flow. I'll confirm the next time I'm over there, but the rubber sleeve inside is notorious for slipping and partially blocking off the opening. And they will also corrode inside.

Try there first...

XP NUT

Hmm

That is a good thought. I just rebuilt the carbs last week, changed all the fuel lines out, went tygon. So I know all the lines are new and crisp, the old lines were lined with this foul smelling green thick slime. I never even thought about the selector. I might even have a problem all the way to the pick up. I am using this ski as a toy to learn on becuase my ski is just right. I have a dealer account with pro marine and will just order a new selector they are 19 bucks. The other question I have is with one of the other 96's I have this is my demon ski, fastest one I have. Runs good, but has a quirk. When you go to launch it for the first time the motor will bog and die, if you just pump the throttle slowly 2 or 3 times it will finally go. My first thought is the pop off, but since I am not the skispert I figured I would ask. Loving all the good advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Billigan View Post
    When you go to launch it for the first time the motor will bog and die, if you just pump the throttle slowly 2 or 3 times it will finally go. My first thought is the pop off, but since I am not the skispert I figured I would ask. Loving all the good advise.

Hell I thought that was typical of most 2 stroke skis. If mine hasn't been started in a week or 2 it usually takes a few pumps and some choke and its up and goin.

Quote Originally Posted by DooMeister View Post
    Hell I thought that was typical of most 2 stroke skis. If mine hasn't been started in a week or 2 it usually takes a few pumps and some choke and its up and goin.
    I think he was referring to every time he nails the gas? Please clarify if this is only on a first cold startup.

XP NUT
    Yes, only when I nail the gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Billigan View Post
    Yes, only when I nail the gas.
    Gotcha...

So what about an update on the switch? You get it yet?

Thread Information