Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pump seals

Pump seals

I'm replacing the bearings on the pump of a 2004 Polaris Freedom and they went in fine but I think I pressed the seals too much. What kind of problems should I expect? or should I fill that space with waterproof grease?

opinions?

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did you damage the seals in some way?

The bearing spacer is properly located between the bearings inside the stator, and it can move sideways a little - correct?

Damaged seals leak water. Water leaked into the bearings will cause the bearings to rust and fail prematurely. Failed bearings are not good.

Talking

hello 447K,
    Yes the bearing spacer is sandwiched between the two bearings. I filled the outside areas of the spacer with a 2/3rd Mobil1 synthec grease and 1/3 85w 140 gear oil. Then I pressed the second bearing just fine. After I placed the impeller spacer after a little extra grease to the bearing. I pressed the first seal with an exact peace of PVC just fine maybe a little low according to specs, covered with grease and pressed the second seal with went past the 1/8 spec. on the manual. No damage at all just a little too deep so I filled again with water proof grease. I'm just a bit concerned if pressing the seal too much could cause a problem other than that I dont think water can go past the layer of grease, seal, grease, seal, grease, bearing. At least I hope, what do you think?

Can you move the bearing spacer, or is it pinched between the bearings? It think that's what K447 was trying to ask. It should move freely side to side.

Also, how much further than 1/8" did the 2nd seal go? I measured mine with calipers when I did it, and mine went a little further than 1/8" as well. I don't think that's an exact spec...just a rough measurement.

well the bearing spacer can move a little but I did fill the sides with the grease. could I have put too much grease inside?

I'll measure with calipers in the am and check how deep I went.

now Im a bit concerned about what you are saying with the bearing spacer moving from side to side. If I pull the impeller rod out to check it, do I ruin the new orings?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alindo01 View Post
    ...If I pull the impeller rod out to check it, do I ruin the new orings?
    Shouldn't be a problem. Just turn the stub shaft slowly as you slide it through the seals.

You really packed that thing with grease all around the spacer, and between the two seals?

hey 447K,
    I'll pull out the stub shaft tonight and check if it moves freely but how freely should it be able to move? I literaly injected the grease/oil mixture all around the walls until filled, i figured that it would be always lubricated and also prevent water from passing anywhere. On the seal side I changed to waterproof grease sandwiched between each seal to prevent any leaks but from your "" look (LOL) I guessing that my thought process was wrong? Should I take out some grease while I'm checking for the play on the bearing spacer?

Thank you...apreciate the wisdom and corections. Us noobs rely on it.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by alindo01 View Post
    ... I'll pull out the stub shaft tonight and check if it moves freely but how freely should it be able to move?

I literally injected the grease/oil mixture all around the walls until filled, i figured that it would be always lubricated and also prevent water from passing anywhere.

On the seal side I changed to waterproof grease sandwiched between each seal to prevent any leaks but from your "" look (LOL) I guessing that my thought process was wrong?

Should I take out some grease while I'm checking for the play on the bearing spacer?

Thank you...appreciate the wisdom and corrections. Us noobs rely on it.....
    The internal spacer between the bearings needs to have no slack, but not be binding against the bearing races.

When you tighten the impeller onto the stub shaft, the two bearings and the spacer get locked together and turn as a single unit. If the spacer had a gap to the inside bearing faces, then the bearings would be under lateral tension, which is not how they are meant to run.

If the spacer was pressing against the bearing inside faces before you tighten the stub shaft, again the bearings would have an un-natural side force.

So the spacer just needs to be gently 'floating' between the bearings, neither tight nor loose. Without the extra grease in there, the spacer would normally tend to slide around a little until the stub shaft slides in.

The was just that I have not seen a Polaris stator so fully stuffed with grease. I don't see any problem with doing so, other than the extra mess involved.

As long as those front seals and rear O-ring keep the water out, the bearings seem to last a long time. They do eventually wear out, or rust after water gets in, but usually you get years of service from those bearings and seals.

Make sure the short spacer that sits behind the impeller is smooth, so the seals don't have any reason to wear prematurely.

With the impeller torqued onto the stub shaft, it should spin smoothly, with no binding or stiffness.

Thank you 447K, now I know what to look for. I appreciate it!

Awesome! perfect explanation 447K. I completely understand what I have to do now. thanks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information