gp1200r wouldn't rev above 2500

wouldn't rev any higher with a load on it. ok on the trailer but when finally revving a lot of blue smoke from winterizing. i am pretty sure i have to go through the carbs. are there any known issues while i am in there to fix? i am going to jet it up since i have a milled head, 13/19 prop and a d-plate. also flame arrestors too. thanks, paul c.

sounds like powervalves

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by paul c View Post
    wouldn't rev any higher with a load on it. ok on the trailer but when finally revving a lot of blue smoke from winterizing. i am pretty sure i have to go through the carbs. are there any known issues while i am in there to fix? i am going to jet it up since i have a milled head, 13/19 prop and a d-plate. also flame arrestors too. thanks, paul c.
    If you haven't done a rebuild on the carbs its probably time. The diaphrams can become warped and the screens can get debris in them. Also I would check the powervalves. Open them up and check to see if they move. They should open up at 5000rpm

the power valves are working fine when it is on the trailer. it is only when there is a load on the machine. plus the motor has to rev to 6k for them to open, it won't make it past 3k.

finally got the stuff i needed for my carb issue. i got the riva flame arrestors, 125 main and 110 pilot jets (has a milled head), 95 g springs and 1.5 n/s. also replaced the head gasket because i wasn't satisfied with the way the bolts torqued down before. replaced the head gasket and all looked fine, used anti-seize this time for lube. took the carbs apart and OH BOY, the crap that was in all 3 internal filters was unreal, #1 and 2 carb return orifices were plugged solid. cleaned and blew out everything and put in the new parts. made a pop off pump sing a coolant tester with an old oil pressure gauge attached. got all 3 to pop @ 43 and did use wd-40 in the carbs each time. also got a stainless plate for the get works kit from member gus13letter on here for the jet works kit which was a nice piece. now that the carbs are set hopefully it will pull like it should. the other mods are a riva 2 bar grate, riva ride plate, stepped sponsons, milled head for 92+ octane, 13/19 solas prop, pump seal kit and a d-plate. started it up really quick tonight (10 p.m. so couldn't run it too long ). so out tomorrow to the lake tomorrow to see how it is. hurricane bill should make it interesting.

big difference. lake was choppy but it now pulls strong up top. now to get a tach to tune and have to play with the lows since there is a slight bog off idle.

I was just going to say the Same thing a guy i knoq owns a Rental Company in Pensacola Fl and he bought a year 2000 GPR 1200 had the same problem It was the Powervalves they replaced them ran fine after that.

Thread Information