This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

yamaha service manuals cost me plenty

Now I don't work on that many Yammies to consider myself a guru, so I always consult the manuals on stuff I'm not real familiar with. I've collected them all!

Had one in with a "great on trailer, but not in water" complaint. The owner dropped a bundle at a yam dealer and had his carbs rebuilt..same problem when it hit the lake ( twice)

i get it on the rack, and in 29 seconds I find that the center plug isn't firing...ok...ignition problem

check the manual..hmmm single pulse coil for a three cylinder?..ok, I've seen that design on a yamaha street bike of old...three trigger magnets on the flywheel, with a 4th close to one to signify the tdc of #1.

Ok, the cdi must be toast, coils are good.

get the cdi..( $400+) plug in in and o-u-c-h..same problem..no fire for #2

Tear my hair out a little, check a few other yam manuals..then go to the parts fiche to try to get a look at the flywheel..did one of the magnets fly off?

well sob..it's a triple pulse coil ignition!, they just happen to leave the other coils off the wiring diagram and the manual clearly shows a single pulse coil on the mag parts diagram.argghhh!

so now I'm out $400 ( well I may eventually sell the cdi), my diagnostic time and I have to shame myself by telling the customer my original estimate is way off, since i have to pull the generator cover now to fix the ignition problem..and on an xl1200, that doesn't look like a quick and easy job.

so to the yamaha manual folks..KMA

you can now return to the business of personal watercraft foruims, my rant is over.

+1
    What year XL1200 is it?

+1
    it's a 97. not sure at the moment, but I think it might be a gp1200

Bill, while I have your attention for a moment, I want to update my handheld (aquired last month)to the last version of the doo software, I'm assuming that I just fashion a serial cable, get the software disk and find some executable which will ask me for which com port and go ahead and flash the programmer. it's 3.4p right now. I won't need any special code to get it to update will I?

this programmer was a bargain child, as it seemed a little brain dead mysterious beeps and error messages, but last week I had it hooked up to a challenger and it asked me if I wanted to erase the last boat ( or something like that) I did and voila..it now powers on and off with the buttons.

thanks!

-pete

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    it's a 97. not sure at the moment, but I think it might be a gp1200

Bill, while I have your attention for a moment, I want to update my handheld (aquired last month)to the last version of the doo software, I'm assuming that I just fashion a serial cable, get the software disk and find some executable which will ask me for which com port and go ahead and flash the programmer. it's 3.4p right now. I won't need any special code to get it to update will I?

this programmer was a bargain child, as it seemed a little brain dead mysterious beeps and error messages, but last week I had it hooked up to a challenger and it asked me if I wanted to erase the last boat ( or something like that) I did and voila..it now powers on and off with the buttons.

thanks!

-pete
    Yami varies from model to model 65U had 3 pulser coils, 66V one, pulser 60T three again. The manuals are actualy pretty detailed if you have the right one. I have done quite a bit of electrical troubleshooting on the older 65U and 9 out of 10 times it is the stator coil that fails it is actually two coils in one unit and the small one historicly fails.

As for the doo stuff you are asking the wrong guy, I would post the question over on the Doo side, I am sure there are several guys over there that could help.

+1
    I'll be checking the microfiches from now on to see what I'm dealing with. How do you identify the models exactly? never saw these desigantions anywhere.

Thread Information