Thread: Trailer Weight

Trailer Weight

I'm trying to figure the weight of my single trailer, so I call the manufacturer of the trailer and the receptionist said it was 300 lbs. Its a galvanized trailer with plastic fenders, so when I pick up the rear of it (I know its not full weight), it doesnt feel like that much- maybe 200 -250. Any body have a rough idea what the average trailer weight is?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Not sure why this is in the Polaris section...

Trailer weights vary depending on the design, and how thick the materials are.

What are you trying to figure out?

dude take it to a scrap dealer or a truck stop , deduct your weight of the truck or car your towing with ,

we wont know jack on how much its going to be , to be honest i dont even think they are that much they make a hell of a racket empty on the road so thats gotta be around 200 lbs at the most

most states dont require your trailer to be registered unless its over 2000lbs

Sorry-didnt realize I posted here too.I always come to this forum--lots of knowledgeable people here. I tow with an accord,so Im trying to figure how close to max tow weight is.Im also trying to adjust for the proper tongue weight

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkhammer View Post
    ...I tow with an Accord,so Im trying to figure how close to max tow weight is.

I'm also trying to adjust for the proper tongue weight
    Tow weight ratings on cars are a rounded off number. Don't worry if you are 100 or even 200 pounds over the tow rating.

It is more important to maintain the car well. Make sure the brakes are in good shape, lubricated and wearing evenly.

Car tire condition is also important. Check the recommended tire air pressures for your car when towing, then consider adding a couple of PSI if you will be towing on the highway.

Many car manufacturers recommend adding a couple of PSI to the cold tire pressures before traveling at highways speeds with a fully loaded car. The trailer adds a similar loading to the car.

Keep in mind that if the car is heavily loaded, that takes away from the weight that you can have on the trailer, especially the tongue weight. Don't go to maximum loading inside the car, and maximum trailer weight, at the same time.

The main concern with maximum cargo weights and trailer weights is not the car's ability to pull the trailer, or even engine or transmission wear. The primary concern is braking and emergency handling.

If you need to perform an emergency lane change or avoidance maneuver, you need the car to respond appropriately. Excess weight can make a car handle poorly, and a too-heavy trailer can cause tail wagging or loss of control during high rate steering events.

Make sure the car is well maintained, keep the highway speeds down while hauling the trailer, and practice defensive driving. Leave lots of braking room, look well down the road to anticipate problems - all the usual good driving practices are even more important when towing.

Tongue weights are an approximation. As longs as there is a reasonable weight on the hitch, and the trailer is handling properly, with no wandering or other odd ride motions, it is probably fine.

When loading the car with stuff, put the heaviest stuff on the rear seat floor. The less weight you have in the trunk, the more weight capacity you will have for the trailer tongue weight on the rear suspension. If you leave the car fuel tank 1/2 full, it again reduces the weight on the rear suspension.

I added Air Lift 1000 air bags to the rear coil springs on my own car. Not only did it reduce the rear end sag when loaded up with the trailer, but it improved the handling and ride, even with no trailer.

You can get a rough measure of your trailer weight using a household/bathroom scale. Put a flat board down, with the scale on top. Put another thin board on top to protect the scale.

Then have a friend help you lift one of the trailer's tires (with no PWC on the trailer) onto the scale. Read the weight, and multiply by 2 (for the other side).

Now put the tongue on the scale. Add that weight to the tire weights. That is the total trailer weight, empty.

The 'dry' PWC weight you can find in the manual for your year/model, but that number is also approximate.

Full fuel and oil tanks will add another 100lbs or so (6.4lbs per gallon, roughly). Gear in the PWC storage bucket adds to the total.

I presume you know about maintaining the trailer wheel bearings and tires.

Trailer tires don't normally wear out- they age and dry out, with plenty of tread left when they are no longer safe. There are some good threads in the Trailer section here, and most trailer tires are ready for replacement before they are seven years old.

Thread Information