99 Genesis won't rev - HELP

I have a 99 Genesis (1200, carbs) and it runs fairly well out of the hole and up to about 3/4 throttle. Take the throttle past 3/4 and the RPMs go down and the ski starts to slow down.

I had the carbs rebuilt by Watcom, I replaced all the fuel lines and I replaced the spark plugs. The compression is perfect on on three cylinders.

Any ideas? thanks,
    Scot

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did this machine used to run OK?

How long have you had it?

Have the gray Temp fuel lines been replaced?
    When?

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

99 Genesis

I bought the ski last spring from the original owner and it ran as it runs now... poorly. He mentioned that the ski had started slowing down at WOT the previous year and his guess was the carbs. He mentioned that the ski used to run close to 60MPH (speedo) on smooth water with a single rider and now it barely breaks 50MPH.

It has a little over 240 hours on it, and I ran it as is for all of last summer. I pulled the carbs and sent them to watcom early this year and replaced all of the Tempo lines before re-installing the carbs. There was really no change, so I have just been running the ski as is again.

Thanks for any help

+1
    Have you checked the carb adjustment screws for the correct settings?

Have you checked compression recently?

Correct spark plugs installed?

Compression is great (less than 2% variance between cylinders), spark plugs are correct.

As far as carb adjustment screws, I have not changed a thing since I got the carbs back. How can I tell if they are at the correct setting?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrake View Post
    Compression is great (less than 2% variance between cylinders), spark plugs are correct.

As far as carb adjustment screws, I have not changed a thing since I got the carbs back. How can I tell if they are at the correct setting?
    Refer to the service manual.

For the 1999 Genesis, the factory carb settings are;

High Speed screw: None
    Low Speed screw: 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns

Main Jets: #130MAG #142CEN #145PTO
    Mid jet: #58
    Pilot jet: #62

Pop Off pressure: 10-18PSI

Valve spring: 70 gram

Idle speed (in water): 1350RPM

I would expect Randy would have confirmed the jet sizes when he rebuilt the carbs, but the three carbs have different jetting, so it is important they were re-installed on the correct cylinders.

It appears your cabs do not have adjustment screws for the high speed jets, so the changing the jets is the only way to alter the high speed carb tuning.

To check the carb screws, you turn each screw in slowly, until it gently bottoms out. Do not screw the screws in 'tight', just until you feel resistance.

As you turn the screws in, you count each 1/8th turn. In your case, you would expect to turn the screws in about 1 and 1/2 turns before the screw bottoms. You would then turn the screw out the specified distance.

The Low speed screws would not have a big impact on full throttle engine power, and you have not mentioned any problem with idle or launching from idle, so your low speed screws are probably correct, or close to correct.

+1
    I have a 99 Genesis (1200, carbs) and it runs fairly well out of the hole and up to about 3/4 throttle. Take the throttle past 3/4 and the RPMs go down and the ski starts to slow down...
    I bought the ski last spring from the original owner and it ran as it runs now... poorly. He mentioned that the ski had started slowing down at WOT the previous year and his guess was the carbs. He mentioned that the ski used to run close to 60MPH (speedo) on smooth water with a single rider and now it barely breaks 50MPH.

It has a little over 240 hours on it, and I ran it as is for all of last summer. I pulled the carbs and sent them to watcom early this year and replaced all of the Tempo lines before re-installing the carbs. There was really no change, so I have just been running the ski as is again...
    Well, let's consider the electrical side of things.

Work through the tests for your domestic ignition system;
    How do I test old and new domestic red engine CDI, Magneto and Ignition coils?

My ohm-meter measurements don't exactly agree with the service manual specifications. Is this OK?

Look for unusual ohm readings on the spark plug wires, ignition coils, spark plug caps. Look for any signs of arcing or black carbon on the wire ends or inside the plug caps.

Polaris issued Ignition System Update Kits for 1996-1999 domestic engines, but the update documents only list the 900 and 1050cc three cylinder engines. The 1999 1200 engines are not mentioned, so I think your Genesis engine has the newer style domestic ignition (which is a good thing). Use the Updated/2000+ test numbers.

It might be worthwhile to trim the ends of the spark plug wires and re-screws the caps on, or even replace the plug wires and ends.

It is also possible that the CDI is bad, but first check everything around the CDI.

While you are in the electrical box, make sure the Black wires and grounds really are clean, tight, and zero ohms all the way back to the battery negative post.

thanks for the help

I will start going through the list possibilities tonight... stay tuned

I would also check fuel pump.

Thread Information