Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pump Sucks to hard

Well today I was riding my favorite Haunt The southern end of the St Johns river. Well the water was way up and should have had no problems but I forgot I was riding an RXP not an XPL. I dont care what anyone says the XPL can out carve anything made. The RXP not so good. I found myself in a tight spot and tried to turn around and ended up in the weeds. I have a WORX grate better known as the weed trap. Well I tried to motor out of the weeds since the water was at least 3ft but the weeds filled up the intake so bad the exhaust ran dry and over heated. Well my friend trough me a rope after he saw me set for a few minutes and pulled me out. I tried to clear the pump with a few revs of the engine. Later it turned out to be the wrong thing to do. I jumped in the water being careful not to touch bottom. (never know what is waiting for lunch ) pulled a mass of crap from both pumps.(payment for him coming to the rescue) I jumped on and went 1/4 mile and slowed down only to find my boat full of water. (Engine started to run like crap) we went for a shallow spot and I found out the carbon ring no longer sealed out water the clip was missing. I must have created enough suction that the stainless ring moved forward and the clip flew off. Took 2 hours to get back to the ramp an ultra 150 cant pull an RXP full of water on plane. What do you all think? I know the clip was on right I put it there 20 hours ago and have ridden the ski 2 up lots of times and long distances but never any water in the hull till today. It isnt the exhaust I checked that first I could feel cold water coming in at the ring

+1
    Man, I have not been riding jet skis for a very long time but I learned where not to drive them when I first bought mine and had to change my wear ring at about 9 hours.

Im not trying to be condescending but this could have been avoided if you could have got out of that shallow water and not punched the throttle instead.

+1
    really should have just gotten out of the weeds before starting up crossed your mind.....sorry man.

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    Well today I was riding my favorite Haunt The southern end of the St Johns river. Well the water was way up and should have had no problems but I forgot I was riding an RXP not an XPL. I dont care what anyone says the XPL can out carve anything made. The RXP not so good. I found myself in a tight spot and tried to turn around and ended up in the weeds. I have a WORX grate better known as the weed trap. Well I tried to motor out of the weeds since the water was at least 3ft but the weeds filled up the intake so bad the exhaust ran dry and over heated. Well my friend trough me a rope after he saw me set for a few minutes and pulled me out. I tried to clear the pump with a few revs of the engine. Later it turned out to be the wrong thing to do. I jumped in the water being careful not to touch bottom. (never know what is waiting for lunch ) pulled a mass of crap from both pumps.(payment for him coming to the rescue) I jumped on and went 1/4 mile and slowed down only to find my boat full of water. (Engine started to run like crap) we went for a shallow spot and I found out the carbon ring no longer sealed out water the clip was missing. I must have created enough suction that the stainless ring moved forward and the clip flew off. Took 2 hours to get back to the ramp an ultra 150 cant pull an RXP full of water on plane. What do you all think? I know the clip was on right I put it there 20 hours ago and have ridden the ski 2 up lots of times and long distances but never any water in the hull till today. It isnt the exhaust I checked that first I could feel cold water coming in at the ring
    You need to do some maintenance so you don't sink your jet ski, never heard of weeds messing up carbon seal, and running it until it overheats?????I normally clean my chit out before I overheat it

I could go on about the temp sensor in the exhaust going off before any damage is done especially at those speeds and how I dont think any of you would get off the ski in the crap I ended up in. But that would just waste my time I thought someone would say it impossible or I never thought it would happen or even say I was full of it That couldnt happen. Maybe even come up with a way to keep the ring from coming off. But no you all just state the obvious. Damn guys I never thought of doing that. By the way maint didnt cause it I just installed that engine less that a month ago and did oil change and compression check Friday. It will be fine. Yes I put the clip on and it was right. I ride shallow most of the time. Prefer it to salt water or lake /swimming pool riding. You would have to experience it first hand to appreciate the beauty and fun of riding the StJohns from Lone Cabbage to SR46

+1

I've overheated my exhaust too.

I wanted to see how far I could go up the slough. So, I kept on as far as I could, then I got stuck on a mat of aquatic plants. I (unwittingly) stuffed my pump with them and my exhaust temp sensor beeped at me (loudly). I freaked out and shut off my Doo (it made sense to me). I re-started it 5 minutes later ... same problem. So, I floated down the slough realizing that I needed to get the plant life out of my pump. I stopped, got off my ski and wadded out my grate. Problem solved.

+1
    I never re use the c clip anymore. had to many problems with them stretching etc.

+1

I never use the carbon seal anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffabas View Post
    I never re use the c clip anymore. had to many problems with them stretching etc.
    had too many problems with it leaking.

+1
    I run Les cooks seals now. never looked back

Thanks Jaffabas I cant find the clip it must have gotten wedged somewhere when I flipped it on its side to drain. Guess its a good thing except we have none. I dont like to worry about grease. How long can you go without grease. Craigo The water I was in has alligators Snakes and BIG turtles. Did dig out the weeds as soon as I got to deeper water with no weeds seems kind of stupid to try to take out the weeds when your sitting in a pile of them. Must be why I waited. Next time I wont rev up the engine. Just idle till I get clear. Might try to keep a push pole on board

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information