STX-15F engine dies when throttle released

I have a 2008 Kawasaki STX-15F with 22 hours on it. Just purchased the ski from a private owner. It starts easily and idles smoothly. The engine has a lot of power with no hesitation. However, if I have been going along at a fast pace and release the throttle, the engine will die. It starts again with just a touch of the starter button.

The engine continues to run if I slow down and run at a low power setting for a while before releasing the throttle.

Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong?

It may still be under warranty even if your the 2nd owner.

+1
    Do you know if the previous owner did the maintenance after break in. I would check the plugs and make sure they are fine. I have no idea what it could be but that is where I start. You might want to change the oil unless he told you he did the maintenance.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    TPS and or idle adjustment could be off.....

+1
    When it does this dying business do you happen to notice the word code pop up on the instrument panel??? If its a plug issue you would have stumbling and rough idle. This problem should be addressed by the dealer, it might have a throttle position sensor that is shorting out at times. This will get worse as time goes by. I wouldn't try diagnosing it myself .. take it in and have them test ride it, scan it for trouble codes. and get them to change the plugs out anyway due to the fact that around 25 to 30 hours they need to be anyway. good luck bud ..

yankster 15f
    Quote Originally Posted by rcguy52 View Post
    I have a 2008 Kawasaki STX-15F with 22 hours on it. Just purchased the ski from a private owner. It starts easily and idles smoothly. The engine has a lot of power with no hesitation. However, if I have been going along at a fast pace and release the throttle, the engine will die. It starts again with just a touch of the starter button.

The engine continues to run if I slow down and run at a low power setting for a while before releasing the throttle.

Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong?
    my friends did this last summer,took it to the shop and found out the butterfly on the air intake was out of adjustment[ not getting enough air ]this set him back 100 buckaroos!

Thread Information