Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear Corners

Rear Corners

Hey Everyone--
    I have a 2005 RXT that the rear corners need to be replaced. 1 has completely popped off and the other is being held on by 1 rivet. Has anyone replaced these before? How hard is it to do? It looks like all it takes is to pop the rivets in, but I'm paranoid I'm gonna do something bad. So any and all help is really appreciated. Thanks!

Wade

Welcome to the board. Sorry I can't help with the rub rail...someone will jump in.

Have you swapped out your sc clutch washers yet?

Thanks for the welcome. No I haven't yet, actually just picked them up a month ago and am just getting to know them. How hard is it to replace the washers? I am hoping that I can do it myself, but if I can't, I am definately going to have someone do it for me.

+1
    Not hard at all.Take out the three little plugs that hide the rivets..Then drill out the rivets..After drilling them out the bumper should pull off..Put the new bumper on,Using the OEM rivets from Sea-Doo(which i recommend seeing how they are longer than normal rivets)Slide them in the hole and through the fiberglass.Then with a good rivet gun pop the rivets in..Do this to all three spots,replace the black plugs and your done..

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    I've done this to several skis just as Snoman describes. A couple things to watch for.

1. After drilling the head off and pushing the rivet shaft through with a punch, it may hit the hull on the underside of the bonding joint (what the rub rail attaches to). If you grab the rivet shaft with a pair of pliers you can pull down and finish removing. My first attempt I thought it was just being stubborn and kept beating on it with hammer and punch... gelcoat didn't take it so well, but it's hidden.

2. The last time I ordered the corners I received pieces that had longer legs coming off the radius bend. The part number is the same for all years, so this must be a superseded part from latter skis. Not a big deal as they will offer slightly more protection from hanging up on a dock protrusion. But, the mounting holes didn't line up perfectly with the existing holes in the hull. Just something to check before attaching the first rivet.

Welcome,

Jeff

+1
    Thanks to all new to doo repairs shop did all work now must do myself

Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna try doing this on my own. Gotta learn my way around it somehow! Here goes nothing haha

+1

drill em out - pop em in

Quote Originally Posted by Snugz RXT View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm gonna try doing this on my own. Gotta learn my way around it somehow! Here goes nothing haha
    It's pretty simple. You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Snugz RXT View Post
    Follow Sno white and 05Unlimited post, BUT put a piece of wood behind the rub rail. So when you punch it through with the drill, it won't scratch your gelcoat. If we have to train you on how to work on your ski.....We might as well train you the right way and not pass on our misadventure on thinkering with our skis Welcome to the forum and stay away from Craigo.....He might spray your hair with that Hair spray .....He's a frustrated Gay hair stylist in real life

this is a simple fix...found a 3/16 bit works well for drilling out the rivets. (of course I figured out the wood trick the hard way).

-also had one fall off and no one had the rivets handy so I used 1" #10 stainless machine screws with lock nuts - worked just as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information