Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FZR w/ Motec first ride

I got a chance to test a FZR with motec, impellar, intake and free flow this weekend at the WV IJSBA Tour race. First, the ski is really nice, comfortable, fast and handles good. Two things that did suck were cavitation, but I guess with a stock pump and the mods, this has to be expected. And the other was the RIVA sponsons. In my opinion, they are too short, this is a big ski, and I think it needs longer sponsons to make it carve off the nose like a smaller runabout.

If I can move some other things, I would consider getting one. The ski is probably the best product Yamaha has put out in a long time and the fit and finish seemed to be first race. While it wasn't the complete adrenaline rush I was hoping it was going to be, it was a pump gas mid to high 70s runabout and that is something to be proud of.

Scottie

PS
    Man, it still amazes me how fast these things go, because this is one HUGE friggin ski. lol

+1
    If you have the MoTeC pumped up a bit with those mods, you will spin your prop a lot. One thing I have seen with these FZR's is every little mod requires an adjustment in the prop.

+1
    If you want an adrenaline rush you have to go with an aftermarket supercharger wheel. Thats where adrenaline comes from....in the form of boost!

Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    I got a chance to test a FZR with motec, impellar, intake and free flow this weekend at the WV IJSBA Tour race. First, the ski is really nice, comfortable, fast and handles good. Two things that did suck were cavitation, but I guess with a stock pump and the mods, this has to be expected. And the other was the RIVA sponsons. In my opinion, they are too short, this is a big ski, and I think it needs longer sponsons to make it carve off the nose like a smaller runabout.

If I can move some other things, I would consider getting one. The ski is probably the best product Yamaha has put out in a long time and the fit and finish seemed to be first race. While it wasn't the complete adrenaline rush I was hoping it was going to be, it was a pump gas mid to high 70s runabout and that is something to be proud of.

Scottie

PS
    Man, it still amazes me how fast these things go, because this is one HUGE friggin ski. lol

sounds like good results to me besides the cavitation issue but like u say with the set up to be expected. so bolt on your SC wheel and other mod's and you over 80 also slap on the R&D sponsons and that will do the trick or TBM's

+1
    Hi Scott

yea i agree with you with the sponson i feel the riva sponson are to small for a large ski.

i fitted worx sponson on mine and man the way it handles the chop is amazing like night .

and they are larger then the riva and no need to fill in any holes

here are a couple of photo's of mine sponsons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	144580   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	144581  

+1
    I wonder when someone is going to test an RXP pump on a FZR using Hydros adapter. The pump on the FZR is from the stoneage, certainly not up to snuff for the torque of that massive motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    I wonder when someone is going to test an RXP pump on a FZR using Hydros adapter. The pump on the FZR is from the stoneage, certainly not up to snuff for the torque of that massive motor.
    I agree that would be a great idea

+1
    I do you know someone hasnt done that already?

+1
    The size of the blade is not the driving factor. I believe the position of the blade and the form of the blade & baseplate that makes for a great turn. The TBM Sponson gives you 12 different points to work with.

I have mine all the way down and 1 position away from the front. (3 up & down and 4 back & forth). This makes the boat very twitchy. Which I like. I love that almost getting thrown feeling when turning and no slipping.

Here is a pic with the sponson in the mid position and almost all the way back. This is more of a offshore style config. For tight turns it can move forward a few spots and dropped

click to enlarge

+1
    How namy veins are in the stock Doo pump?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information