Hurricane running problems

Hey guys , i'm new here, looks like a great forum so far.. I was wondering if someone might be able to help me, i just bought a 97 hurricane , i rebuild the carbs when i got it due to a ripped diapham causing the engine to flood, so i didnt drive it before i rebuilt them, now when i ride it intermitently it will just die out like its running out of fuel if i choke it quick it will sometimes stay running but not always, i have to sit there cranking and cranking before it goes again . It sometimes is a bit of a dog getting up too speed as well . I really think its the carbs but i noticed that the rpm read 0 all the time not sure if its related ???

seems like its starving for fuel. set the low speed and high speed screw to factory settings. or are they set already at factory huh?

you have only one adjusting screw. and its only for the low speed. factory setting is 5/8 turn out from lightly seated position. is it set at 5/8 huh?
    if set at 5/8 and its hard to start then set it at 6/8. see waht happens at 6/8 turns out. it should be easier to start.

if it doesnt get easier, then it can be a clogged fuel filter, fuel pump, high pop off, kinked fuel line, clogged petcock, clogged pilot jet

Did you rebuild the entire carb? Including the needle springs? If so, make sure that you inserted the correct spring, as too high/low of a popoff pressure can cause these things to do some crazy stuff. I was experiencing the same problem recently, and discovered that the low speed screw was too rich, causing a bog.

ya i rebuild the entire thing i will look into those things thanks alot for the help guys!!

what do you guys think about the tach not working ?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane1 View Post
    Does the rest of the MFD work?

Does it wake up when you start the engine, or must you press a button to wake it up?

Yellow wire to MFD is RPM signal, and the wake up signal for the MFD.

if the tach doesnt work, it has nothing to do with the engine giving you problems.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by la90043 View Post
    if the tach doesnt work, it has nothing to do with the engine giving you problems.
    We have seen a number of cases where the MFD was not working, or not working properly, and the engine was running, but running poorly.

When the 'bad' MFD was unplugged from the MFD connector, the engine ran just fine.

So there does seem to be something that a bad MFD can do that does affect the engine.

I don't (yet) know exactly what or how, but somehow the MFI is upsetting the CDI, or possibly the LR regulator that powers the CDI (probably a long shot on that one).

Ya everything else works it started to get delayed then just quit ,i know it has nothing to do with my running problem just wanted some input thanks again guys!!

Thread Information