Thread: Problem with Leo's Holeshot Kit
08-04-2009, 02:07 PM #1
Problem with Leo's Holeshot Kit
I purchased a Leo's Holeshot kit from Pale Rider through the forum. I was happy caused I saved like $25 bucks over getting a new one and Andy (Pale Rider) was happy because he had an extra.
He packed the kit up in a nice looking box, and wrapped it with a lot of bubble wrap.
The package got here and I was pretty excited. These things are pretty expensive (IMHO) but I have read about the quality and I did not want to skimp on it.
Package looked pretty good, box did not have any dents or anything. I took it out of the box and began to take off the bubble wrap. Trouble city.
Three HUGE cracks!
Well, I talked to Andy about it and he was cool about everything. He said that if I wanted his help, he would aid me in making a complaint to the shipping company. Only two problems: (1) Only had insurance for $100 and (2) the box that it shipped in displayed no signs of damage at all.
I figured that it would be better to just repair the cracks because no one would see it anyway once it was up in there.
I took out my West system epoxy, many heavy duty clams, some small weights, etc.
Put the parts together with the epoxy, let it cure for more than 300 hours, and it looked great again.
I was really excited to finally put the kit on my boat. Went with my truck down to the dock and towed my ski home.
When I got it home, I got out my 5200 FC and all my clamps.
As I was dry fitting the piece (which fits really well by the way... nice job with the molding) I was holding one end up by hand and the other by clamp. The middle was unsupported... guess what...
It cracked again! Only hand pressure. Could not have been more than 20 pounds of force.
I do not know what is wrong with this piece. From everything I have read Leo is a really stand up good guy and his kit is great. The kit looks like it is really nicely made and should really get the job done perfectly. I just don't know what is up with my kit. I know resin can be brittle... but this is a joke. Are they all like this? Did I just get a bad one? What can make resin this delicate? Did it cure incorrectly? Was this single piece mixed wrong? I have no idea.
Any help at all would be great.
I am not trying to start anything with anyone. I am sure that most of these kits are really good parts. I am just relating my experience and trying to figure out what I should do.
Thanks everyone for reading this really long description and for any help that you can give.
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM #2
The inner wire will hold it together. After the piece is installed, just use some Marine-Tex to fill the voids in and paint over it after some sanding.Remember.......you have to grind all the rivots in the back that hold the rub rail about half way off for the pieces to fit in good.The material does chip off in spots but its easy to fill them in as stated above and light sanding and some paint. Hope this helps
08-04-2009, 02:26 PM #3
Its too bad it came in the package broken. Andy's a good guy and wouldn't sell anyone a shit product or be out to rip anyone off.
The holeshot kit is brittle. Mine broke at the end while installing. I just used 5200 and was able to keep it together and its be fine ever since.
08-04-2009, 02:35 PM #4
Thanks for the quick replies... I have marine tex and 5200.
I already actually removed the rub rail (prior to attempting to dry fit). I was going to install the piece and then 5200 the rail back on.
I guess there is nothing to do but fix it again... I am just concerned about permanently attaching this thing to my hull if it is going to fall apart in my hands. It would be a total mess to remove once it is 5200 into place.
08-04-2009, 02:45 PM #5
Forgot to add the most important thing!!!!!!! YOU MUST SAND THE SURFACE OF THE HULL AND HOLESHOT KIT BEFORE GLUING......
08-04-2009, 07:07 PM #6
I have the same kit that was bought during the group buy when Andy received his. They are brittle but I didn't have any problems other than a bit of chipping around the HIN number plate area. Once you get it secured with 5200 it will be in there permanently. Then once the 5200 sets up go back around the entire perimeter of the kit with a smooth bead of 5200 to fill in any gaps between the kit and the hull.
The cracks and chipped parts can be filled with marine tex once the 5200 has cured and everything is in place.
It really won't matter if it's in 1 piece or 10 pieces. Once it's in there it's there for good...It's up to you how much finish work you want to put into how it looks.
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM #7
It may be made out of the same stuff the gas tank, CDI box, and other parts are made of. Some kind of alien crap that is totally resistant to any and all glues. Weird.
08-04-2009, 07:30 PM #8
it is an easy fix. I had picked up a full one piece unit from leo, and I cracked it while installing it in one piece. No worries. I filled it in with black 5200.
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM #9
thanks for all the info. leo just contacted me. i am going to give him a call later.
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM #10
Even if it breaks into seven pieces, just put it together like a jigsaw puzzle and 5200 into place. All the piece is there to do is fill the void. After mine cured I lightly fiber glassed, sanded, and painted it. It looks factory. Mine came cut in three separate pieces and now looks seemless.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By yami_rida#26 in forum Yamaha How To & FAQsReplies: 39Last Post: 03-28-2009, 09:38 AM
By Bryan K in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 208Last Post: 03-13-2009, 08:00 PM
By Speedaddict in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 29Last Post: 03-27-2008, 09:32 PM
By WATER WOODY in forum Yamaha Open DiscussionReplies: 17Last Post: 02-04-2008, 11:41 PM
By shooter98xpl in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)Replies: 25Last Post: 08-10-2007, 11:33 AM