Turn it into a project or Parts ?????

I picked up a 1994 ( Build date of 11/93 ) Polaris SL750 about three years ago, It has the MFD and electric trim, The first season it ran great but for the last 2 years I have been having carb problems and now My rear cylinder has less than 90 PSI of compression.

the front and center cylinders still have 125 psi but the center cylinder is still dead, I can see fuel entering through the carb but the center cylinder still does nothing until I get into the upper RPM's, it has spark at the plug wire and plug but is dead in the lower rpm's

I was going to have the Pop-off valves in the carbs set this morning at a PWC shop here in NC where I am on vacation to see if the center cylinder would come back but after doing the compression check we decided to wait till I got the compression problem straightened out.

what would be a good place to start, should I re-ring and hone all 3 cylinders or just re-ring and hone the bad cylinder ?

or should I buy new pistons and cylinders ?

also is there a how-to somewhere to test and set pop-off settings ?

and while it's apart are there any updates or upgrades I should do ?

Or should I just part it out and buy a newer ski ?

any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete32200 View Post
    I picked up a 1994 ( Build date of 11/93 ) Polaris SL750 about three years ago, It has the MFD and electric trim, The first season it ran great but for the last 2 years I have been having carb problems and now My rear cylinder has less than 90 PSI of compression.

the front and center cylinders still have 125 psi but the center cylinder is still dead, I can see fuel entering through the carb but the center cylinder still does nothing until I get into the upper RPM's, it has spark at the plug wire and plug but is dead in the lower rpm's

I was going to have the Pop-off valves in the carbs set this morning at a PWC shop here in NC where I am on vacation to see if the center cylinder would come back but after doing the compression check we decided to wait till I got the compression problem straightened out.

what would be a good place to start, should I re-ring and hone all 3 cylinders or just re-ring and hone the bad cylinder ? 90 # means you may have smoked a cylinder down,good news is,it's pretty cheap repair if you do it yourself.

or should I buy new pistons and cylinders ? You will have to see how bad the piston and cylinder is. Maybe able to just hone it and put a new piston in.

also is there a how-to somewhere to test and set pop-off settings ?Do a search,it's in the Tech Section

and while it's apart are there any updates or upgrades I should do ?If you burnt a cylinder,it's fuel related,rebuild the carbs and update fuel system(do a search)

Or should I just part it out and buy a newer ski ? If you like the ski,it would be cheaper to fix it yourself.

any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
    Welcome and check these threads
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82682
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15433
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15433
    And do reading here.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....omestic-engine

Thanks for the info, My plans right now are pull the low compression cylinder and check for a stuck or worn ring and figured I would go ahead and hone and re-ring the other 2 cylinders as well.

when I put it back together I am planning to install a 3 outlet fuel pump kit, Ocean Pro ride plate, the ocean version because the river I ride on is pretty rough, and maybe some aftermarket flame arrestors or the polaris update air box and jet kit.

I have heard of guys doing a " 650 pipe mod " on the 750's but can't find any info on that. I have access to a 650 pipe and was wondering what was involved and what difference it would make.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Was that ski winterized to prevent the crank from rusting?

How much are you looking to spend? It will add up quick.

Remove the low compression cyl's head. See what the problem is.

Check out the on-line manual for the pop off check.

Repair just the bad cyl.

Replace the fuel hoses and oil hoses. Reinstall the restrictor if your ski has one inside the return hose.

The pipe mod is using a 92 650 dry pipe instead of the wet pipe. It will create a bit more power up top, but will need other things to really capture it's true potentional. Like a 12/17 impeller, a PRO 785 CDI, and 44mm carbs.i

Thread Information