2x 2004 Seadoo RXP. Milwaukee, Wisconsin. wisconsin_quat's Avatar

04 RXP: Waterbox smoldering, temp sensor + j-pipe hose melted, couple questions......

Nothing really that prompted the situation.

I searched the forums and read about several overheating issues... The only thing I can say really is that the last place we skied in was a lake that had a lot of weeds in it...

Now not sure at what point the waterbox started smoldering. the rubber housing is about 30% melted. I did run it for about 1 min out of water and no hose when i noticed that it was smoking. This is after being on the lake for a few hours.

Would you agree that before I replace the melted temp sensor in the waterbox, the melted J pipe to waterbox exhaust hose (intact but badly frayed) that I should diag the ski and run it with the hose on it?

Where is the strainer by the pump you guys keep talking about??

Oh man.. it may have been overheating the entire time out on the water without even knowing... especially if the sensor was just sitting on the bottom of the ski.

Let me know what you guys think -

Also anyone has any of these parts that I need:
    J Pipe exhaust hose
    waterbox temp sensor
    entire seat assembly for a yellow / black 04 RXP (seat is gray)
    the section below that is held onto the ski with 5 6mm allens in yellow / black.

If the ski was already hot from riding then you ran it for 1 minute with no water cooling it I can see this happening (exhaust is water cooled for a reason)

When you run the ski on a hose it will flow the water in reverse backflushing most debris out......there is a strainer on the pump that is black on top......you should of had a alarm go off before all this would have happened

running it out of the water w/ no hose attached for a minute or longer is WAY too long. the exhaust uses nothing but the water pumping through it to keep it cool....i can see it melting especially if it was already hot from riding. why did you run it out of the water w/ no hose for so long???

Just to clarify - I ran it for 1 minute from a cold start w no hose.

Several members here have suggested that it's ok to run the ski for up to 2 minutes with no hose attached....

Please correct if wrong.

Also, can someone tell me if there is in fact a strainer in the cooling system (factory stock)?? Or is everyone referring to the graco strainer?

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic View Post
    ......there is a strainer on the pump that is black on top......you should of had a alarm go off before all this would have happened
    1) Would the alarm go off if the temp sensor in the waterbox is melted and fallen out of the waterbox?

2) Where exactly is the strainer?

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsin_quat View Post
    1) Would the alarm go off if the temp sensor in the waterbox is melted and fallen out of the waterbox?if it melted then yes it should have gone off before it melted as far as falling out I have never seen that perhaps it was not tight and backed out of the waterbox never sensing the high temps of the waterbox

2) Where exactly is the strainer?
    #4 in the diagram http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/4tec/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=118&B=13

I have ran a ski for 20 seconds from cold with no water and the jpipe was a blazin.........SeaDoo says no longer then 30 seconds......I believe them

i wasnt trying to be a d*ck, i do believe running it for a minute w/o water could have caused your issue. being an 04 you may also have a leaking or blocked intercooler...is it still stock?

Hey no problem... So how long can you run it on the hose then??

Yes the ski is still stock.

SO QUESTION>>>>>> If you run it on the hose for up to 2 min will the waterbox still smolder / smoke??

Quote Originally Posted by JeffTurbo601 View Post
    i wasnt trying to be a d*ck, i do believe running it for a minute w/o water could have caused your issue. being an 04 you may also have a leaking or blocked intercooler...is it still stock?

+1
    I'm not sure if you need this, but I have the coupler that connectes the jpipe and waterbox and I have the exhaust hose that follows the waterbox. if you need 'em, let me know, i'll get them to you cheap

Thread Information