Need help whipping an XLT back into shape

Hey guys,
    I spent all winter/spring rebuilding this ski. I pressure tested it and it's airtight. I had the stock head milled at Riva. I installed Wave Eater clips/couplers. I ripped out the chokes and installed a primer kit. I rejetted per Woody's specs:105 pilot jets (1 & ½ turn out), 120 main jets (1 & ½ turn out), 95 gram spring, 1.5 needle and seat. I tied back the accelerator pump, but didn't remove it. I have Riva air filters on the carbs w/o socks. I have also removed the oil pump and gone premix. Under the ski I have an R&D 2 bar intake and a 13/19 depitched to 11/18.

So, it starts great. It idles a little high (1900-2000 rpms in the water). The power valves are opening up around 5000 rpms but that's where it tops out. I'm missing about 2000 rpms. If I pin the throttle it'll jump up on a plane and get to 5000 rpms quickly but after a couple seconds the RPMs begin to fall off and the speed slows. Also from a stop, if I slowly apply the throttle more and more sometimes it'll cut out right after 3000 rpms.
    That's the patient and those are the symptoms. I would of course greatly appreciate anyone and everyone's thoughts and ideas on what I need to address with this ski to get it back into shape. Thanks,
    Drew
    Last edited by mile_hi_1300; 08-07-2006 at 02:12 PM.

I know for a fact where to get those 200 rpms...............05 pump and dyna-fly.

Quote Originally Posted by peteshauling
    I know for a fact where to get those 200 rpms...............05 pump and dyna-fly.
    The bad thing about it pete is he is missing 2000 rpm.
    I'm sure he would be glad if it were only 200 rpm missing.

My GPR was doign the same ting when I had too large of jets init. It would load up and then wouldnt go anym ore, put a size smaller jet in teh carbs and it runs like a top now.

+1
    why is it ideling so high ? ideling at 2000 rpms is very high...are you absolutly sure that you dont have an air leak around the reeds,and are the reed valves in perfect condition? also are you getting good fuel flow to the carbs? you said that it noses over after it tops out,that sounds like a fuel issue weather it be fuel flow or lost vacume signal to signal to carbs??? I sometimes check for leaks around carbs with carb cleaner, i get motor running and spray around base gasket,if motor revs up or slows down i know i have found something..hope you find it

I need to pull the pipe and have a look at the idle screw first off. The thumbscrew knob that connects to the idle screw appears to be locked or frozen up, I can't adjust it either way so I'll address that for the idle speed. I'm positive that the block doesn't leak. It held 12psi for over 20 minutes with no leak down at all. I used Mark's (Hydrotoys) advice on the gasket assembly for the carbs and I applied a thin film of grease on everything before torqueing to spec. I took the reeds from my 1300 that only had 30 hours on them and used them in this engine because the old set had some damage to them from before the rebuild. I also threw my protec reed stuffer plate in there since I wasn't using it on my 1300 anymore. Sorry, forgot to mention that before.
    Unfortunately the plugs are spankin' new in this thing so it's tough to get a read on them. I appreciate the thoughts and advice guys, keep it coming and I'll keep trying stuff out. Thanks again.

Ok, in that case scratch that.

Quote Originally Posted by subarupartsdude
    The bad thing about it pete is he is missing 2000 rpm.
    I'm sure he would be glad if it were only 200 rpm missing.
    2000 looked like 200 from a distance, my stuff is all wire-less and I'm a few feet away. (and sometimes I get the case of the blurry eye.)

+1
    Milehigh........do like we talked about on the phone.You will be golden!

Thread Information