2009 FX HO Multiple Rider Question

I know this forum is about performance and such. My son is on here all the time with his 1300GPR.

I just bought a new FX HO. I love it and it's perfect for me, but the first time I took an additional rider (my husband), the handling in rough chop was not good. It felt as if I had no control almost as if the ski was going to come right out from under us. At first I considered it something I had to get used too since I normally ride alone, the weight load (not that we are fat....LOL) and the fact it was pretty rough. This past weekend I took my girlfriend out, now she weights 100 lbs wet, there was a light chop and the same thing happened. I tried to adjust the trim in all positions and the same thing occurred. Yesterday, I had my son drive and me the passenger. Since he's an experienced rider, I wanted his opinion. He agreed with me. The craft lists and is very unstable. Once you reach a higher speed and calmer waters it runs pretty good with multiple riders.

I called my dealership and they are willing to take a look at it. YEAH! Unfortunately it's going to be a few days before they can squeeze me in. Prime season here in NJ! But my question is....has anyone experience the same situation? If so, what was the outcome? If their is nothing wrong with the ski, my son has suggested a new intake grate and some other parts. Any suggestions????

Thanks!

Son is right... the FXHO in stock form is a pretty good riding craft but add the ride plate, intake grate, and sponsons and she should stick to the water pretty darn good and will give you a more stable feeling one for the SON

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaFXHO1965 View Post
    I know this forum is about performance and such. My son is on here all the time with his 1300GPR.

I just bought a new FX HO. I love it and it's perfect for me, but the first time I took an additional rider (my husband), the handling in rough chop was not good. It felt as if I had no control almost as if the ski was going to come right out from under us. At first I considered it something I had to get used too since I normally ride alone, the weight load (not that we are fat....LOL) and the fact it was pretty rough. This past weekend I took my girlfriend out, now she weights 100 lbs wet, there was a light chop and the same thing happened. I tried to adjust the trim in all positions and the same thing occurred. Yesterday, I had my son drive and me the passenger. Since he's an experienced rider, I wanted his opinion. He agreed with me. The craft lists and is very unstable. Once you reach a higher speed and calmer waters it runs pretty good with multiple riders.

I called my dealership and they are willing to take a look at it. YEAH! Unfortunately it's going to be a few days before they can squeeze me in. Prime season here in NJ! But my question is....has anyone experience the same situation? If so, what was the outcome? If their is nothing wrong with the ski, my son has suggested a new intake grate and some other parts. Any suggestions????

Thanks!
    Does it feel somewhat unstable side to side around 20-30mph (4500-5000rpms) on the speedo/tach? The Riva Sponsons won't help stability with 2 up riding, so I'd look another route, maybe the TBM ones that others have had good luck with.

thats pretty odd for an FX hull. There are ways to solidify the rough water capabilities, but it's going to cost a few bucks. Where at in jersey? barnegat light by chance? its always choppy there. I always ride south jersey, wildwood, stone harbor, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by MommaFXHO1965 View Post

Thanks!
    I have an 09 fxho cruiser and it does the same thing in chop with 3 riders on it. It is a chore for the driver to control the machine at slower speeds also with 3 riders on it. At real slow speeds (NO wake speed) sudden turns will start to tip and throw someone off if weight not balanced. If this feeling starts to happen give it some throttle and steer into the turn and it will prevent this.

+1
    A small boat with 2-3 times the weight dispersed over the entire ski is going to ride different than a single rider.

I totally agree. The riders really need to be aware of the riding conditions and lean as if they were the driver. The worst is when the person on the back is a sight seer and just is not aware of what is going on

+1
    The list you are experiencing is due to the deep V hull. At slower speeds, especially 2 up, any steering input will make the ski lean to one side. Don't be afraid of it rolling over because it won't...just go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    The list you are experiencing is due to the deep V hull. At slower speeds, especially 2 up, any steering input will make the ski lean to one side. Don't be afraid of it rolling over because it won't...just go faster.
    Thanks as I ride it more I realize that.

Many Thanks to you all with your responses!!!! I truly do appreciate it! Just for shits and giggles I'm going to have the dealer take a peek because they said something might be odd with the pump. BTW it's a FX HO Cruiser. I truly do love it, and I'm well aware riding with 2 or more is definitely going to be different. Yet, I've drove a few others (Kawi and Sea DO DO) and never experienced this. I will definitely take all of your comments into play....will go faster!!!!!! and will probably change out the intake grate, ride plate and sponsons over the winter. I'm all about control and safety on the water! Have been a water rat for way too many years not to respect it! For now I just want to enjoy the limited time here at the Jersey Shore (Silverton, Barnegat Bay and Beyond!). Please keep up with new responses. Curious minds want to know!

Hugs!

Thread Information