Candlewood today

Nice time at Candlwood Lake today. I was on about 10am and off about 2:30. My son and daughter loved it also. Any body alse ever get a chance to go? You can do alittle of everything there. I hit some petty good waves to tested top end on glass.... bob

+1
    Bob sounds cool we need to hook-up. I will be down for a Candlewood run after the Chi town ride.

I live nearby, but only do weekdays on Candlewood. Too much stupidity there on the weekends....

Beerdart and Winni I will be at Candlewood tomorrow. I ride a black rxt 215, with my son 11 and daughter 13. Winni I can just amagine what that place is like on a weekend. At 10 am it isn't to bad but by 2:30 the place seems to wake up.. The waves are def fun. We swam at the island today and the kids loved it... How long have you been riding there? I bet you have seen some crazy things. I think I read something about a boy drowned this past weekend. My heart sank when I heard.
    Beerdart, I would love to buy you a beer and talk about some mods... bob

Hi bob, glad to hear you had a good time!

I have been around Candlewood for about 10 yrs. Its great on weekdays but the weekend traffic is downright scary. Not so much the volume (can be high) but the idiots operating....its amazing. I would consider taking the seadoo out before 11am but thats it. I am way up the North end and that used to be slower, but now its all a circus. Pontoon boats crossing across the lake traffic, go-fast boats w drunks dodging them, bass idiots doing 60mph to the next slimy fish, and mommies pulling tubers in circles oblivious to the world....its almost a challenge to get around, and far from enjoyable. We have stopped leaving our boats in slips on the lake as of about 4 years ago.

Yes, unfortunately a boy from Danbury drowned here last week. He was in the hospital for a week. Terrible news.

There has also been a few bad accidents at night over the last year or so, one with 2-3 fatalities...a Formula collided with a bass boat after all night at the lake bar. Nice.

Late in the season milfoil seems to choke the lake also, head up to the North part near New Milford. Its deep there and usually weed free. There is also a rope swing up near Sail Harbor in Sherman where folks park and kids swim in to swing. Your kids may like that.

I hear candlewood is the most crowded and insane place to ride.. never been..

Isnt there a speed limit there too?

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    I hear candlewood is the most crowded and insane place to ride.. never been..

Isnt there a speed limit there too?
    yes 45mph but not really enforced. I have never had issues going full throttle. Im guessing its more an issue of you are riding like an ass.

Its really a fun enough place during the weekday, and I have had it all alone. Theres a pull up bar/restaurant, sandbars, islands, quiet coves, plenty of gas, etc...etc...

Just dont bother with weekends. The stupidity is immense.

Define riding like an ass. Does going 30+ mph over the limit qualify?

Where is the public launch for out-of-towners? I should talk to my neighbor.. he goes up there all the time with his skis...

Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    Define riding like an ass. Does going 30+ mph over the limit qualify?

Where is the public launch for out-of-towners? I should talk to my neighbor.. he goes up there all the time with his skis...
    no, I have gone full out on all my seadoos right past lake patrol and they just wave. By ass I meant 30ft off shore or buzzing boats....the stuff you see from the NYers during the weekend.

Its a big lake with little patrol, I have not been pulled over yet.

Launches in each town I believe, coming from the south the Danbury ones are likely closest to you. Im not sure as I am at the North end. Not far off Rt7/84 in Danbury there are places to launch.

If you have never been its worth a day of riding, grab some lunch at Down the Hatch etc.....we ride mostly in NH in the summer, but fall is nice on candlewood as theres lots of foliage and the lake has calmed.

Thread Information