+1

Travel trailer or 5th wheel.. info pls

Anyone have any info in these things... I was going to get a cottage but for now I am going to travel and see where I want to put roots down...

My wif my son and I are the passengers, so I would rather have something with bunk beds as well, for my son... Towing capacity is not an issue but I do want something managable, maybe under 30 feet...

Any input ot tips or tricks would be awsome..

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    5th wheel will ride much better.you will need either a one ton or a 3/4 ton to pull that monster too

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    5th wheel will ride much better.you will need either a one ton or a 3/4 ton to pull that monster too
    Really? I have seen some of the newer 26-28 models pulled by half tons. Of course these are the ones that have the "low" roof lines. I could be very wrong but I would think that the dealer should have some type of guide for recommended pulling power required to pull the trailer. And for that matter, you could tell them what you have to pull it with and then they could recommend a suitable camper.
    What ever you do, do your homework. Good luck.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    Really? I have seen some of the newer 26-28 models pulled by half tons. Of course these are the ones that have the "low" roof lines. I could be very wrong but I would think that the dealer should have some type of guide for recommended pulling power required to pull the trailer. And for that matter, you could tell them what you have to pull it with and then they could recommend a suitable camper.
    every camper trailer around here is pulled by something like that. I have seen them pulled by half tons but they are dragging their ass down the interstate. I would say you are right pulling anything under 30ft a half ton would do the job but he wants something 30ft+.

my bad....didnt read his post correctly UNDER 30ft

+1
    every camper trailer around here is pulled by something like that. I have seen them pulled by half tons but they are dragging their ass down the interstate. I would say you are right pulling anything under 30ft a half ton would do the job but he wants something 30ft+.

my bad....didnt read his post correctly UNDER 30ft
    You do bring up a good point. Even if the 1/2 ton will pull it, how long will the poor truck hold up. I would think that if you would be doing a lot of traveling, you might consider a 3/4 ton anyway. Then there is that whole diesel vs. gasoline costing calculations to run.

+1

Been RV'ing for over 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by two2curupt View Post
    Anyone have any info in these things... I was going to get a cottage but for now I am going to travel and see where I want to put roots down...

My wif my son and I are the passengers, so I would rather have something with bunk beds as well, for my son... Towing capacity is not an issue but I do want something managable, maybe under 30 feet...

Any input ot tips or tricks would be awsome..
    My wife and I started out in a travel trailer, graduated to a 5th wheel, but we wanted to travel, so we went motorhome and still live in it going on 10 years.

Our lives have changed and we have not taken a motorhome trip in over 2 years.

That being said:

I would stay away from a travel trailer unless you are going to stay put.

But...

A fifth wheel pulls like a dream, offers more room inside and storage space. Kind of a pain if you move around a lot. The towing capacity of the truck allows for the size of trailer you want to pull.

If you want to move around a lot, I would consider a motorhome, and tow a car, and/or the skis.

A 30' is not a monster. I pulled a 40' monster that weighed 17,000 pounds with a a Ford 350 crew cab dually that was only rated to tow 13,500.

Then I got into towing jet ski's.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkF350 View Post
    +1

^^^ I took that Pic!^^^ PixxByTango's Avatar
    Get a 5th wheel!! The weight control over the axle and the better turning are by far much safer. Also, if you don't already have a truck... buy a pre-2003 F350 and just bite the bullet. The pre-2003 F350s have the 7.3 liter diesel and with just a few simple mods, you can get 12-14 mpg towing and 18-20 when not hauling a load.

My total weight combined is 19,400 pounds.

The Fleetwood Gearbox came in two configurations... one with a partition and like mine, without. That means the entire area can be used for toys or sleeping arrangments. I do not have any inside pics but it is nicely decked out. It has a drop down queen sized bed in the rear by the door, two fold down couches that can make for individual beds or you can put an inflatable air mattress over them to get a king-sized bed in the middle and then the forward cab area has another queen sized bed. It will sleep 6 easy!

Other amenities are a full stand-up shower with a seat built-in that your wife will love. A separate toilet is across from the shower and vanity. It comes with a gas/electric refrigerator, gas oven and stove top. A microwave, stereo system with 6 speakers and a sub. Air compressor, twin Aux fuel tanks for a total of 120 gallons of extra fuel in the rear with an electric remote gasoline pump like a station. It also has an outdoor shower with hot & cold water. The water tank will hold 120 gallons of fresh water and the heater will crank showers as long as you have gas and water.

The twin HD axles allow for easier towing than a triple with less tire wear and better fuel economy. Brakes are on all four wheels.

The 10' drop down rear door also doubles as a patio with a screened in awning for the feeling of more room when its nice outside. The central air and heat are also very nice.

You can find these for sale all over the internet because the economy sucks and people are not traveling like they used to. I bought mine with only 7 hours on it. It was used ONCE by the owner and then sat in their yard for over a year til I bought it. He paid $60K new for it and I stole it for $27K!

Look out there... deals are to be had.

+1
    hmmm toy hauler... I do have a pair of atv's... My tow vehicle is a 07 3/4 ton duramax diesel, modified... for fuel econemy and power..

I have looked at a few 5th wheels but I found most of them are built for old retired ppl... With the 2 rocking chairs in the back..

Now is there a difference between the alluminum clad trailers and the fibreglass ones?

Fiberglass is easier to keep clean. Doesn't have the seams like aluminum.

5th wheels do give a better "tow" because the weight is distributed better and the don't have the "sway" of a hitch pull. Used ones are normally a little cheaper because most people don't have the set up to pull one (smaller market to sell to.) If you plan on doing a lot of moving around I would look at these.

I would highly recommend getting a slide out on whatever you buy. They add a tremendous ammount of room and make any camper more comfortable.

I have the bunk beds in mine. Highly recommed these with kids.

Right now is a good time to buy.

Thread Information