Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question I need big help everyone please take one sec to read

Yesterday while riding on the lake at about 62 miles an hour on display not gps my ski began to lose power it went from 62 and red line to 35 - 42 and rpms do not go up past 3.800 to 4.888 it feels like a cylinder is gone like it is running on 2 cylinders. The ski is a 1200 gpr the year is 2000 the hours are 174.2 it has waveeater clips in it and a d plate thatís it. Also before this happened I had an issue come up 2 hours before this happened it was the gas lever it stock I let it go and it continue to be at almost full throttle.

Anyone please offer advice and how much do you think it will cost to fix. I am in Atlanta ga and if any one is local please help me out I am on a very tight budget but to keep my ski running I will stop eating for a month if I have to fix her up.

Thank you all!

+1
    Pull the stinger pipe (Z shaped exhaust on the right side of the engine compartment) off and look at the carbs. Work the throttle while looking at the linkage to see if it is operating properly. There's a ton of things that can cause what you described, but with the little bit of info you provided, it's impossible to say. First things first - check out the carbs and report back.

Is it almost winter yet??? ProXR 440's Avatar
    +1
    Who fixed the carbs? This could be anything from a carb problem to a bad cylinder, did you happen to notice a change in the low end throttle response or a change in the exhaust tone? You'll have check and see that the butterfly's in the carbs are opening completely and that you still have 3 pistons...

I would start by doing a compression test rule that out first

Quote Originally Posted by 2004 xlt1200 View Post
    I would start by doing a compression test rule that out first
    spot on

I reckon it will show a tale or two

+1

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by ProXR 440 View Post
    Who fixed the carbs? This could be anything from a carb problem to a bad cylinder, did you happen to notice a change in the low end throttle response or a change in the exhaust tone? You'll have check and see that the butterfly's in the carbs are opening completely and that you still have 3 pistons...
    No one has ever worked on the carbs they are original. the throttle reponse is very bad now almost like someone is holding the ski with a 5000 pound weight and the rpms go up super slow.

+1
    I will get someone to tell me compression asap. thank you all

Sounds like this ski needs to be freshened up.... Rebuild the carbs and maybe the top end depending on what kind of #'s you get back from the compression test.

You might be able to spray down the carbs with carb cleaner and free them up so they don't stick on you again and still be able to ride it for the rest of the season. But it sounds like the ski could use some goodies over the winter months

+1

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by bren View Post
    spot on

I reckon it will show a tale or two
    Quote Originally Posted by treemoney View Post
    Sounds like this ski needs to be freshened up.... Rebuild the carbs and maybe the top end depending on what kind of #'s you get back from the compression test.

You might be able to spray down the carbs with carb cleaner and free them up so they don't stick on you again and still be able to ride it for the rest of the season. But it sounds like the ski could use some goodies over the winter months
    yes i agree i will focus on the carbs.

might want to go back an check the throttle cable issue an maybe spark plugs too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information