Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

RXP-X Buck and Weight?

I'm starting to lightly mod my RXP-X and trying to make sure I avoid the buck scenario. I was wondering what the factors were that led to the buck? Specifically, is it directly related to speed?

The reason I ask is due to my weight, I always slow a ski down between 1.5-2 MPH. I was trying to figure out if this was working in my favor in regards to the buck or working against me. Meaning, lets say 77 MPH is the magic number for bucking with an aftermarket grate. If my ski was capable of 77 MPH with a lighter rider, would that mean the buck would occur for me at 75 MPH or would I have to actually get the ski to 77 MPH with me on it to hit the buck?

I know this is a gray area, but looking for some input. Thanks.

+1
    i dunno but at 73mph yesterday the ski started to porpoise..hopefully it was just the weather and the light waves

Jarret,
    I would say Yes in my opinion.
    I found it has alot to due with the hull angle in the water on how the tunnel gets feed water to the pump. I've had my X buck on me with two people testing a modded rideplate at lower 70-74mph speeds last year. It's how you feed the bigger tunnel of the X boat that is contributing to the buck. Changing the ridepate angle, the intake grate design, and weight on the back all contributes to when and what speeds the buck can occur. Sure the faster you go accelerates when the buck will happen, but also how much of the tunnel is being feed with water and how you process that water has ton to do with it. The more weight on the back of the ski contributes on how far the hull lifts out of the water and how the tunnel is feed due to the change in hull angle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Enufpwr View Post
    I would say Yes in my opinion.
    I didn't understand what you were saying yes to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    I didn't understand what you were saying yes to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    If my ski was capable of 77 MPH with a lighter rider, would that mean the buck would occur for me at 75 MPH or would I have to actually get the ski to 77 MPH with me on it to hit the buck?
    I would presume you would hit the buck at a lower speed of 75 and was saying yes to that portion. Sorry--should have clarified it.

When I would ride (single) I could get up to 82 without a buck last year and then when I had my wife on the back (2 person), the ski would buck at 78-80 because of the extra weight/hull angle change.

I would presume you would hit the buck at a lower speed of 75 and was saying yes to that portion. Sorry--should have clarified it.

When I would ride (single) I could get up to 82 without a buck last year and then when I had my wife on the back (2 person), the ski would buck at 78-80 because of the extra weight/hull angle change.
    What grate were you running?

Quote Originally Posted by S2R View Post
    What grate were you running?
    I had both Riva and R&D at the time and bucked with both. I haven't tried the Worx at the time since it wasn't available.

+1
    Had you physically changed the angle of the ride plate at this point by shimming it or something? Or was it still in stock position?

I don't imagine my ski ever doing more than about 73-74 with me on it anyway, so it might be a moot point.

+1
    Lose the stock grate to start with. I prefer the R&D and the ski seems happy with that up to 78ish or more but there are others out there.

+1
    Put a worx grate on it and ride it.
    If you get close to 77 drill the holes in the shoe.
    DO NOT cut the mounting of the ride plate if you are concerned about buck.
    Decelerating while crossing 1 foot rollers is the most common buck issue.
    The roller coming at you @ 5 mph and you are crossing the wave @ 72=77mph of water speed thru the tunnel.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information