Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

waverunner battery keeps dying

i have a 99 yamaha gp800 that i been using for a while now , we bought a new battery and it lasted a day and then it died again , so i went back to walmart and replace it once again ( this time i chaged it for 24 hours before i used it ), took it to the lake and it only lasted an hour .... i been wondering whats wrong it ? i dont think it has an alternator to recharge the battery like a car does , so why does it keep on dying ? or is it cuz of me being cheap; and buying a battery from walmart ... please somebody help me ...

Likely not the battery. Get a DC meter and measure across the battery with the ski running, don't forget cooling water, the voltage should be around 14.2. If it is around 12.5 your system is not charging. You then need to troubleshoot the charging system, stater, diodes, wiring ect.

If it was winter I would give you a hand as I winter in Sebring.

Dead Battery Syndrome....

I had a similar problem but my batteries would last longer than that... I found that I had starters with alot of wear and tear (brush assemblies were really corroded and carbon dust everywhere in the starters) and they would conduct a small current through them and cause the batteries to die if I left the batteries connected for a week or more.

aight guys ill check it out . thanks a lot for ur answers

im going to see if the system is charging if not , then u guys said it might be the starter ... how hard is to replace it ? i wanna have my yamaha running soon..... any other piece of advice ??

last time it worked; we charged it and took it to the lake , it ran perfect but after around 1 hour of riding it , then it died ... it jumps start right away though ....

also forgot to mention that the first time it died on my at the lake(before replace the battery with a new one) , the terminal that hooks to the battery was broken , only was being held by a couple of wires .. then i replaced the terminal and the battery with a new one ///

Dead Battery Syndrome

What was the voltage on the battery before starting and then after the engine was started and running? Sounds like you've got problems with the stator/charging circuit.

Check all your wiring first. Any Loose, corroded or melted wire terminal connectors? Unplug and inspect all the "quick-connect" harnesses at the side of the electrical panel in the engine compartment. Hopefully you'll find the problem before going any further.

pull the quick connect from the rectifier. Mine was melted in the inside there were no signs on the outside of the plug.
    I know some other's had the same problem.
    Measure voltage at battery before and when motor is running!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information