Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

4tec Crank repair lunati or falicon or other

I spun a rod bearing on my RXP recently and was wondering if anybody has used Lunati or falicon for repair of a bearing journal?
    I was told they can weld the journal and regrind to spec plus heat treat to make it "good as new"
    Any input or experiences would be appreciated.
    The cost of repair looks to be $300-400 and a new crank is over $1000.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    I spun a rod bearing on my RXP recently and was wondering if anybody has used Lunati or falicon for repair of a bearing journal?
    I was told they can weld the journal and regrind to spec plus heat treat to make it "good as new"
    Any input or experiences would be appreciated.
    The cost of repair looks to be $300-400 and a new crank is over $1000.
    Sorry to hear about your rod bearing. Curious to know which one you spun? I did alot of studying and I was told and came to the conclusion that is was not a good idea to to build up and machine crank on our 8,500 rpm engines. On a auto turning no more then 6,000 rpm then I think would be ok.

You might go the route I went and buy over sized rod bearings from Australia and get the crank turned down.

Good luck!

And yes the cost of new seadoo crank is arround 1,500. You can buy one from ppg or sbt for around 800 but i am sure is bad crank reworked. I got the 3 sets of over sized rod bearings from Austraila for good price, so in the end is alot cheaper with only the more cost of turning the crank down.

+1
    wow, good info! I did not know that there were different sized bearings available! what is the source for the bearings?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoad View Post
    wow, good info! I did not know that there were different sized bearings available! what is the source for the bearings?
    Neither did I for longest, just kept searching.Les Cooke, I think you will have to buy complete set of 3. if you only turn down 1 journal, then you sell the others. you might contact hydrojunkie, not sure how busy Jason is right now.???? .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Neither did I for longest, just kept searching.Les Cooke, I think you will have to buy complete set of 3. if you only turn down 1 journal, then you sell the others. you might contact hydrojunkie, not sure how busy Jason is right now.???? .
    great stuff!!

+1
    Does anybody have any experience using ACL duraglide 780 bearings that fit a BMW 316i as an oversize rod bearing in our 4tec motor? Rumour has it they fit if the the journal is machined to spec

+1
    its not a safe way togo. your going to take a huge risk in tolerance's and after its done your only going to save $600 and if it doent go as planned your gonna need a new set of cases, rods, pistons and a new crank. to much risk if you ask me.
    do it right the first time and be done with it. if you got nothing but time and money and want to keep trying til you get it right then thats a diff story. I think it would work but not its going to take a certain tolerance and testing to prove it, then you could sell the setup to someone or offer the service and make a killing. there are alot of bad 4tec cranks out there....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JD 1 View Post
    its not a safe way togo. your going to take a huge risk in tolerance's and after its done your only going to save $600 and if it doent go as planned your gonna need a new set of cases, rods, pistons and a new crank. to much risk if you ask me.
    do it right the first time and be done with it. if you got nothing but time and money and want to keep trying til you get it right then thats a diff story. I think it would work but not its going to take a certain tolerance and testing to prove it, then you could sell the setup to someone or offer the service and make a killing. there are alot of bad 4tec cranks out there....
    no doubt there are a lot bad 4tec cranks out there. You would think there would be a safe/reliable repair but I guess its not to be. Thanks for your input, and I think I will take your advice and not be a guinea pig on a repair

+1
    what year crank do you need? i have a 2006 motor i was going to part, im trying to sell the whole motor as of now. $2500 (can) for everything minus SC and intake manifold. you pick it up or meet in windros ill sell it for $2000 (can) and ill split the case if you want to see the condition of the interals if you wanted.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    what year crank do you need? i have a 2006 motor i was going to part, im trying to sell the whole motor as of now. $2500 (can) for everything minus SC and intake manifold. you pick it up or meet in windros ill sell it for $2000 (can) and ill split the case if you want to see the condition of the interals if you wanted.
    thanks for th offer, but I need and 04/05 crank. My cases and head are mint with less than 100 hours so I don't want to buy a whole motor if I can avoid it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information