Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on Audio Setup?

So its time to put some tunes on the RXP. Here is what I was looking at and just wanted everyones opinions before i placed the orders to make sure i wasnt forgetting anything . So your opinions, positive or negative are greatly appreciated! And is there anything I am forgetting?

For the amplifier
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PYLE-...fAudioQ5fVideo

For the speakers
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-db521...d=p3286.c0.m14

To hook the ipod/cell phone to amplifier
    http://cgi.ebay.com/RCA-to-Mini-Head...d=p3286.c0.m14

then as far as the battery goes, i was debating between getting a 2nd battery or a battery watcher type thing to alert me when it gets low or automatically shut down.

if i purchased a cd player instead of the amplifier, would i be able to listen to the radio also?

+1
    by cd player, you mean a head unit?

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    by cd player, you mean a head unit?

yes, my fault on the misunderstanding

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by borndahoop View Post
    yes, my fault on the misunderstanding

no biggie, just wanted to be clear.

we'll a head unit would be good, you'd technically be able to play a cd, listen to radio, or play your ipod, assuming you get one with an ipod hookup. head units have amps built in, but i'd check the specs on what you looking at to make sure it has enough power for the speakers.

the problem with the head unit is finding somewhere to mount it. the amp could go really anywhere, but the head unit is much bigger. unless they have a remote for it, you could mount it in the front and mount the remote in the glove box. a wireless remote prob. wouldn't work too well, but wired would be good. to be honest, i dont even know if they make them like that, just throwing it out there.

i'm not too sure about the battery, but a second battery is going to be a lot more weight then you want on the ski. other's will be able to help you more in this area.

Thanks a lot! that really helps a lot and as far as the mounting of the deck. If i decide to go that route as opposed to the amplifier, i thought this was a very cool location. Of course, like you said, if you had some type of remote it would work much better

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...9&d=1182980036

+1
    no problem.

also keep in mind, i'm not sure how well a cd player is going to work on a ski, if you're going at a good speed, it's going to be bouncing a lot, so the cd will prob. be skipping a lot

+1
    I have a fairly high power four speaker system on my RXP. If you search this forum you can find what I have done. Not that I would do it exactly the same way again. There is room for an amp or head unit to be mounted directly to the floor underneath the bucket. I considered the Pyle amp that you are looking at but found some comments in some blogs and came to the conclusion that it really is a pile the comments were that it was noisy(hiss). Usable stereo output should always be gaged by rms watts. High wattage, like horsepower, is usually a selling tool, so if rms watts are not referanced they are stating peak watts which is about double of what you can actually use under even the best circumstances. I have the Polk's that you are looking at but one grade up, and they sound great. I have a through hull exhaust, Rude charger, and flo rites so there's no chance of hearing quality music while under way, but it's great to have your own tunes while floating or on the beach.

OBJ
    p.s. I don' know if you can hook your Ipod directly to an amp. I did a little reading on that and there was talk about having to boost the signal from the Ipod. I know that Poly Planner has a small water proof amp designed to work that way though.

+1
    check out what I did to a GPR.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...ighlight=audio

IMO, the i-pod is the way to go.

I have looked thru both of your setups and they both look awesome! Congrats to both of you on such a sweet setup. Kirk: What are you running from your ipod to your amplifier?

+1
    The kit comes with a cord that connects to the amp. On one end, it has RCA jacks and the other end is a female port that you can mount to the ski. From there is had a cord that goes from the female port to the ipod.
    I love my set up; just wish I had a bigger amp but I was afraid I would keep drawing down the battery and have trouble starting the ski. I have ran the set up for 45 minutes + without having any starting issues. While the engine is not running, you can hear the ski from 50 feet +. If I crank it all the way up, I can barely hear it while I ride; but the GPR is loud as hell anyway. There are much better systems out there but I saw no use in spending big bucks on something I would only use a few times a year.
    Good luck on yours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information