nose cone/wear ring?

3 questions. help.

i did a search and i came to the conclusion that the rubber thing around the splines on my impeller is the nose cone. is that correct. mine was turned inside out and had flipped around the impeller blades. i am going to leave it off. is this ok?
    also my wear ring had a grove where the prop runs just deep enough to catch my finger nail in. it that worn out? it has a chunk missing from it where it looks like i sucked up a rock. i have seen on this forum where you can flip the ring and re-use it. it looks like over half of it has already been used? can i flip it?

last but not least. is my shaft supposed to have movement? it will move about 1'' up and down and side to side. is that ok?

Quote Originally Posted by jake2582 View Post
    3 questions. help.

i did a search and i came to the conclusion that the rubber thing around the splines on my impeller is the nose cone. is that correct. mine was turned inside out and had flipped around the impeller blades. i am going to leave it off. is this ok? Flipped inside out?...wild. If you leave it off you will have to stay on top of the grease in the pump.
    also my wear ring had a grove where the prop runs just deep enough to catch my finger nail in. it that worn out? it has a chunk missing from it where it looks like i sucked up a rock. i have seen on this forum where you can flip the ring and re-use it. it looks like over half of it has already been used? can i flip it? You might be able to flip...depends on how bad the damage is...no pics? Or just replace.

last but not least. is my shaft supposed to have movement? it will move about 1'' up and down and side to side. is that ok?This movement is with the pump off? If so...normal.

yeah. it was still threaded on the impeller and the rubber was touching the blades. i had to flip it around right with a screw driver before i could unscrew it.

what do you mean "stay on top of my grease? where should i put grease?

Remove pump cone...three allen screws...rubber mallet. Keep the grease fresh...not milky. And packed full. Yeah....alot will fit in there.

3 questions. help.

i did a search and i came to the conclusion that the rubber thing around the splines on my impeller is the nose cone. is that correct. mine was turned inside out and had flipped around the impeller blades. i am going to leave it off. is this ok?
    also my wear ring had a grove where the prop runs just deep enough to catch my finger nail in. it that worn out? it has a chunk missing from it where it looks like i sucked up a rock. i have seen on this forum where you can flip the ring and re-use it. it looks like over half of it has already been used? can i flip it?

last but not least. is my shaft supposed to have movement? it will move about 1'' up and down and side to side. is that ok?

you need the cone on the drive shaft in front of the impeller, I dont know how you fliped it inside out, cause mine is plastic and it will break. It seals the driveshaft from the pump bearings, water can get in your bearings if its off.

The wear ring wont do any good if its got a big chunk missing, new one is 40 bucks, get one.

and the drive shaft will move with the pump off, but if everything is together and you can move the shaft that much, thats so bad you should be able to tell.

my cone piece was rubber and the threads were plastic. i put a picture of my wear ring on photo bucket but i cant post the link?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xBigDaddyx117 View Post
    you need the cone on the drive shaft in front of the impeller, I dont know how you fliped it inside out, cause mine is plastic and it will break. It seals the driveshaft from the pump bearings, water can get in your bearings if its off...
    Let's make sure we are all talking about the same part.

The rubber nose cone on the drive shaft does nothing to seal water from the pump bearings, it does, however, help keep water from surrounding the prop/drive shaft splines. Many here run without it with no ill effects, especially in fresh water. The nose cone is made of rubber with a plastic collar. If the collar breaks then the rubber portion could become inverted, though I have never personally seen this happen.

BigDaddy is correct about the wear ring, a chunk missing can cause cavitation, vibration, and loss of speed... though yours appears minor and you'd probably get by just flipping it over.

Now the pump cone is a different issue... don't run without it!

my cone piece was rubber and the threads were plastic. i put a picture of my wear ring on photo bucket but i cant post the link?

You think thats bad, look what mine looked like when I first bought it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0977.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	756.9 KB 
ID:	145189  

Quote Originally Posted by xBigDaddyx117 View Post
    You think thats bad, look what mine looked like when I first bought it.
    dang! lol. i rode this weekend without the rubber nose cone. and the new ring. it all worked great.

+1
    Call erik at speedfreeks... his cones supposidly better for water flow

Thread Information