+1

Need help assembling RXP motor

I just purchased a 2005 RXP with the motor partially dissasembled. It obviously has issues or it wouldnt be tore down, just dont know what yet. More than likely a washer issue, the motors still in the ski but the intake and pump are out. I havent seen it yet-being shipped in next week. My question is, this is my first 4 stroke ski-built several 4 stroke drag bikes and have had over 20 2 stroke skis. Any tips or things to look for in this motor. I plan on pulling it and going through it and building a stage 2 or 3 motor-75mph and i would be happy for now. Anyone use NOS on these? Also-what would be a good manual to get to figure out where and how everything thats been tore down goes and whats missing. Thanks!

+1
    oh boy, thats gonna be fun.
    do some searches on this site and start reading, "rebuild" "ceramic washer failure"
    theres also a great how to section above that goes over alot fo major maintenance procedures.

I just finished tearing my engine down and refurbishing. I highly suggest purchasing Seadoo's Maintenance and Shop Manual specifically for your model ski. In fact, I may actually have an electronic copy of one. The manual is first and foremost. Actually, it's a MUST!

The rest all depends on how far you want to go. How well do you trust the previous owner? Was he/she your friend or total stranger. If you're planning to inspect the whole engine and ski, my advice is to pull the engine because it's extremely if not nearly impossible to inspect the PTO (flywheel, bolts, magneto, etc...) without pulling the engine. I'd also be prepared to order and buy two essential gaskets (PTO & Head) because I don't trust reusing the old one's once the seal has been broken (plus the PTO gasket is paper).

Shoot me a PM if you have any further questions and I can provide more suggestions, but until I know how dedicated you are to "inspect" it might be a wasted effort.

Regards,

Paul

Welcome to the 4Tec wrench turners club...

Before pulling everything, try to figure out what problems the previous owner had. If a SC washer let go, the pump and intake grate would not be the first things I would be pulling...

Lots of great tricks here to help identify the problems. (ie checking if it is the SC by just taking off one hose and see if it spins freely...)

+1
    Look in my signature and download a service manual

+1

Finally got my RXP

It was finally shipped in today. Looks like motor went-probally supercharger. It appears the motor had been pulled from the hull and then just set back in it. Looks like a lot of work-a winter project. Thanks for the replies and help-im going to need it-LOL. I have enough skis to work on for now so Im saving this one for when everything else is done.

I recently rebuilt the motor in my 05 RXP after the crank seized due to an oil filter issue. I have rebuilt many car engines / transmissions, snowmobile engines, and motorcycle engines but have to say that this RXP motor was probably the most challenging and was very expensive to repair.

The biggest issue is all of the special tools / sockets you will need. The other issue is all of the stretch bolts that Rotax uses. Head bolts, connecting rod bolts, camshaft bolts, etc. Technically you are not suppose to reuse after they are stretched and they are not cheap.
    For sure get a service manual and follow it to a tee!

It is a heavy motor and ackward if you do not have a good engine stand.
    I have 10 hours on my motor and so far so good but if I was going to do it all over again I would have bought a good used motor to just drop in.

Good Luck

One other tip. Time the motor when the #3 cylinder is at TDC (you will need to lock the crankshaft and camshaft to do this anyway). Every other motor I have ever worked on is timed at TDC for #1. Between this and stretch bolts I sometimes do not get Rotax.

+1
    I just rebuilt my motor after breaking a timing chain and it was fairly easy.
    The only special tools I needed was the Service Manual & Torx sockets.

Figure the timing chain (I would change this), gaskets and bolts will cost you about $300.

If all you break is a timing chain and you only need to replace that, Gskts, and bolts, yea it is relatively cheap. If you need a crankshaft and or connecting rods and pistons you will spend well over $2K just in parts (even if the rods are OK you will need to replace the bolts and all bearings). And you will need more than torx bits to do the job right.

Only $300.00 guess you got lucky but why would you need to rebuild the whole motor if you just broke a timing chain?

+1
    Thanks for all the replies coming through. I havent had much time to look at mine yet-going to make a winter project out of it. I did see the supercharger is missing and it looks like the motor was most likely removed then set back in the hull-so im leaning towards the supercharger washer probally failed. I know it is going to be a lot of work-but im looking foreward to it and starting the 4 stroke craze

Thread Information