Dropped plastic cap in gas tank

I was filling up my 2008 RXT-X with a portable gas tank and dropped a plastic cap (1 inch in diameter with a nipple on one side that pushes into the nozzle) in the gas tank of the PWC (I didn't see it on the nozzle). I called the portable tank manufacturer and they said it is nylon and will not dissolve in gasoline. Based on the one I still have, it does float (in water at least). I called four dealers. Two said it should be ok. Two said bring it in and they need to take the whole thing apart (2 hours minimum).What do you guys think? Most likely scenario? Worst case scenario? Based on the sea-doo parts catalog, it looks like fuel is sucked up from the top of the gas tank which means I guess the plastic cap could get stuck to the filter and starve the engine of fuel since it floats.TIA

+1
    Welcome to the forum.

Remove your fuel pump and pick up assembly and get cap out.

First, thank you for the warm welcome. I appreciate it.

Second, thank you for the quick reply. I purchased the 2008 service manual online for $9.99. The quality of the pictures are not great but it looks like this is done by removing the glove box first.

Is it a pretty simple procedure to remove the glove box and the pump? I am thinking I would then stick a flexible claw grabber / pick up tool down there to grab it?

Should I siphon all the gas out of there or is this unnecessary?

Thank you very much!

Doo'n it on the Lake ... GTXDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoSway View Post
    Based on the sea-doo parts catalog, it looks like fuel is sucked up from the top of the gas tank which means I guess the plastic cap could get stuck to the filter and starve the engine of fuel since it floats.TIA
    Welcome Mark - this is the best forum for your ski! I just joined last year and have learned a TON!

... I seriously doubt fuel pickup is at top of tank - else ski could not run on a low tank of gas - right?!

... I would have to remove that thing but my guess is there is a strainer in the fuel pickup and unless you really run the tank low no harm if the cap floats and is made of nylon.

Good luck man & welcome!

+1
    Assuming that nothing has changed in the design of the X boats, the fuel pickup is at the very bottom of the pump assembly through a filter. There is really no way the cap could impeede fuel flow.

All that said, I would have to get it out if it were me. But I am a little of a perfectionist when it comes to my ski.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkoSway View Post

Is it a pretty simple procedure to remove the glove box and the pump? I am thinking I would then stick a flexible claw grabber / pick up tool down there to grab it?
    Welcome...
    With the claw, I think you would probably do more harm than good.

As for the cap it is probably your call...worst case scenario when your fuel gets low it will plug the fuel pickup (not real likely given it's shape), but if it did, as soon as you pull the key, the fuel pump will shut off, and it will float back off and motor will run again. (kind of like the old trick of sticking ping pong balls in someone's gas tank).

For me this would be a winter project...I would run it for now and get it out in the off season.

Check to see if the cap floats in gas... gas is lighter than water so it may sink. If it floats, just fill up the gas tank all the way and see if the cap is at the top of where the gas is.

All very excellent and quick responses. I appreciate it.

My worst fear was that I was going to be off the shore riding, it stalls, and I couldn't get it started or that it would screw up my fuel gauge so bad I would think I was running on empty when I wasn't because it would be stuck to the fuel filter and affecting the fuel sensor unit.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the parts catalog diagram at the sea doo website. While I know the suction comes from the bottom of the fuel pump assembly based on where the fuel filter is shown, I thought the fuel pump assembly sat on the outside of the fuel tank and created a vacuum and sucked fuel up (because the picture showed it being above the fuel tank but they just must have it pulled out like that to show its pieces). The dealer told me it sucks at 50 PSI so I figured that is what it did.

Based on what has been said, it must actually push all the way down to the bottom of the tank and suck from there. I just figured by sucking from there, it might get sediment and stuff in the filter but my first time ever using a PWC was when this happened so what do I know (I was re-fueling it for the first time).

To Chaserxp215, I had planned on removing the filler neck hose and then removing the glove box and hoping I could get a straight down look into the gas tank inlet hole without removing the pump. With the way the PWC is designed, removing the front storage bin and going in that direction puts you no where near the hole the gas goes into because the filler neck goes down slightly, does a wicked turn, then goes way back to under the handle bar region, and turns back down into the gas tank.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    all kidding aside roto-rooter guy.
    some of them have the camera tool with claw / grab tool

I actually work for roto-rooter! Just kidding.

I've never actually seen one with a claw on the end but a boroscope was one of the things I had on my list to get if I really wanted to get deep into this.

I don't mind paying the $160 to have the dealership do it but I know they aren't going to take care of my PWC like I will.

It only has 1 hour on it so if I can leave it without hurting anything, I probably will as I plan on selling this and upgrading to either a 2009 RXT IS 255 (in May of 2010) or if they come out with something really cool, going with a 2010 <insert model here>.

I will be riding on Lake Erie so independent suspension seems kind of nice.

Thread Information