View Poll Results: Which pump reinforcement method is most effective?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-fad glue in fiberglass piece

16 51.61%
  • DIY cloth and epoxy resin

15 48.39%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tunnel reinforcement- DIY vs Pre-fab

I know there are quiet a few threads on this topic but which method of reinforcement would be the strongest and the best long term? DIY cloth and resin from a hardware shop (much cheaper) or a pre-fab tunnel piece that glues in? Lets hear the arguements

+1
    I think Fercho mentioned it a long, long time ago, but the pre-fab pieces provide a sandwich that does a much better job of stiffening. PLUS they don't depend on adhesion to work. They are pre-fab'd to a shape, and hold that shape.

Lots of pieces have come off when home made. Not everyone admits it... All you ever hear is "well mine still works."

+1
    As i am aware and like Mark mention anyone that has done it them selves along the way it didn t work our Anyone with a pre-fab is still going and much easier and stronger.

+1
    west systems diy products are absoloutly bulletproof. great instructions and and easy to apply.

CoCo`s tunnel reinforcement with marine tex... NOT glued in with 5200...

As long as the DIY is done with EPOXY resin and not polyester, the difference if done correctly is nil. Polyester will not stick.. The biggest difference is the price. Doing it yourself saves $$$, and is fun, if you like doing that kinda thing.. Carbon fiber cloth on ebay is pretty cheap. Fiberglass will work just fine also..
    One of mine done by a previous owner came loose, and popped off, because it was done with polyester resin..

+1
    Yes, I agree, while the polyester is a major issue, really there is a separate issue with doing your own. The bond-in one works better. Stays together longer, and provides more strength than layering your own. I don't know why.

+1
    If money is no object pick up the pre-fab piece, the fit is good and it's much less mess. If you've done glass work before then the DIY is cake.

IMHO the DIY will be stronger if done correctly. There is less chance of having any gaps between the hull and the reinforcement.
    However, the pre-fab'd piece is much more idiot proof and much harder to screw up for someone not familiar with doing this type of work.

Hey Mark, playing devils advocate..... Doesn't the DIY piece become a pre-fab piece after it sets up and dries?? I would think that after everything sets up and everything is bolted in place that it would be 6 of one, half dozen of another....
    Again, all of this is assuming the person doing the DIY piece is doing it correctly.

I agree with Andy, I would never use 5200 for the reinforcement..

+1
    Like I said, I don't know why the pre-fab pieces are lasting longer. They just are. Maybe it's due to drying into a pre-formed shape, that won't move? Maybe they are cured better? All I know, is that I totally suck at body work.

I wonder how hard it would be to pre-fab your own, by using some type of release-agent on the tunnel, fab up your own, then bond it in, like the pre-fab piece... sort of a "best of both worlds" approach.

My fiberglass guy is going to help me do mine. I feel 100% it will be fine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information