Mariner's Landing Orono On Poor Service

Here is a copy of an email I sent to which I never even got a reply about bad service at a local dealer in Ontario. It was addressed to the owner who I found out had another unresolved service complaint with the Better Business Bureau where they didn't even respond to them.

Hi Mr. Nichols,I got your contact info from the Better Business Bureau and thought I would contact you directly about my complaint.

I brought my Seadoo in for service on June 6th to have the starter replaced and picked it up June 26th. When I picked it up I was told by Mike that the starter had been replaced but the exhaust manifold still required 2 posts to be installed, but he felt it would be okay for the weekend since I mentioned I was heading to Emily Park with it that evening.

After taking out on the lake I noticed it had a lot of water in it so I stopped using it and waited until Monday to test it at Darlington Marina where I found it was pouring water out of the exhaust manifold. Had I known there was cooling water going through the exhaust pipe I would have never taken it from your service dept.

I brought it back in on June 29th and was told that I should replace the parts myself, but I felt that it was part of a reinstalling the engine to replace all missing bolts especially bolts that are required for safe operation of the watercraft.

I wouldn't have paid in full for this if I knew the Seadoo was not usable.
    I left the Seadoo there until today July 20th when I picked it up still not repaired.
    Mike told me they were having problems getting the parts but I felt 3 weeks was getting silly so I ordered the parts and will finish the job myself. By the way they were here in 2 business days.

If your service dept. wasn't going to fix the problem they should have told me since I spent 1 week vacation without the Seadoo and didn't want to spend next week at the lake without it again.

I realize I am just a small customer but even Walmart takes care of customers who have already paid for merchandise no matter how little they paid.

Since it does not appear your service dept. is interested in repeat business I will be sure to tell every boater I encounter about my experience and post my story on the forum PWC Today.

+1
    They replaced the starter, right. That what you brought it in for and thats what they did. How old is your ski? Was this warranty work? What posts are you talking about? Where did they go? Agree, They should have called you and told you how much more to fix the other stuff. Its pretty hard to blame a shop for bolts and other stuff that break while taking apart an older ski.

Re: Mariners Landing

They replaced the starter, right. That what you brought it in for and thats what they did. How old is your ski? Was this warranty work? What posts are you talking about? Where did they go? Agree, They should have called you and told you how much more to fix the other stuff. Its pretty hard to blame a shop for bolts and other stuff that break while taking apart an older ski.
    Yes they did change the starter but when reinstalling the engine they only put 2 bolts on the inside of the exhaust manifold which allowed it to pivot and leak cooling water. If bolts are missing a mechanic should replace them and add their cost to the bill. Instead they left it that way and told me it should be fine but I should replace them later. If I hadn't already paid I would have left it with them.
    After 15 min on the water my ski was sinking and I don't think that is a safe practice for a shop to send someone off with a broken ski.
    When I returned after the weekend they said they would put the bolts in but held me up for 3 weeks claiming the parts weren't available.
    I called the Seadoo dealer in Toronto and they had the bolts in stock so I picked up my ski and did it myself.
    If that was a brake job on a car and the brakes failed someone would be losing their license.
    In total they had my ski for 6 weeks and I still had to finish the job myself.

+1
    What happen to the other bolts? I guess thats why alot of the guys on here do their own work. Personally wouldn't let a dealership tech work on my ski, eventhough I am sure maybe a few good ones out there. The only time my ski has seen the dealer was to get the ECU set up on BUDS.

+1
    The guy telling you to take it, ride some, then bring back so he could do it right should have been the first clue that the guy does stuff half ass. Why did you even pay if he was not finished with the ski?

Unfortunately they didn't tell me until after I had paid with my debit card that it wasn't completely finished.
    Next time I'll pay by cheque and cancel it if I get that sort of treatment.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeadooSP2301 View Post
    Unfortunately they didn't tell me until after I had paid with my debit card that it wasn't completely finished.
    Next time I'll pay by cheque and cancel it if I get that sort of treatment.

You would be better off paying by credit card and disputing the charge with the credit company after the fact.
    Stopping payment on a check can get you pulled into court, regardless of the reason for the dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1300r View Post
    What happen to the other bolts? I guess thats why alot of the guys on here do their own work. Personally wouldn't let a dealership tech work on my ski, eventhough I am sure maybe a few good ones out there. The only time my ski has seen the dealer was to get the ECU set up on BUDS.
    You can tell how many good techs are out there by the ones that identify themselves as a tech on this site... Ron

Thread Information