89 550 starting problem

I have an 89 kawasaki 550 jet ski. I just bought it and took it on the lake and it ran great. When I got home I hooked the hose to it and ran water through it before I started it. I wanted to adjust the carb. I then took off the spark plugs and turned it over to get some of the water out. I continued to turn it over to get the water out.Then eventually every time I tried to start it, it would not turn over. It just made a click sound. I replaced the battery and that was not the problem. I checked all the wiring and it seems to be fine. I think I might of fried the starter, solenoid, or the relay, but I have no idea. Sometimes I would stomp on it while trying to start it and it would try to kick over then just click again. I could really use some advice.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    welcome to the hulk
    hmmmm
    sounds like you filled the motor with water,,,,
    pull the plugs ,put a towel over the motor,tilt the ski to the side ,hold the red button down (so not to have spark)and hit the green button,how much water comes out????
    YOU NEED TO DO THIS ASAP
    that motor needs to be fired up soon or it will rust into crap !!!!!!!!!
    for future times
    start ski,,,
    hook up water,,
    (run for a few min or just enough to piss your neibors off),,,,
    then turn water off,,,
    then turn ski off ,,,,
    pm your number if ya nee to BUT YA GOT TO GET THAT THING STARTED
    mattman

89 ski

I did get a lot of water out of the exhaust and the spark plug holes, but in the process I think I might have fried the starter or solenoid. Because every time I try to start it the electrical box makes a click.

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenyo3 View Post
    I did get a lot of water out of the exhaust and the spark plug holes, but in the process I think I might have fried the starter or solenoid. Because every time I try to start it the electrical box makes a click.
    undo the starter cable and touch it (watch for sparks) to the batt cable --both should be on the electric box under rubber caps,,,
    if it cranks the starter is fine ,solinoid or ground wire is bad..
    if you dont get it fired you need to at least crank it over (evan if that means jumperpack wires to the starter -or etc) with some/alot of oil or fogging/storage fluid/oil
    hell fill the motor with whatever oil you got in the garage or kicten (wesson only when no stores are open)
    and get up early ,and start the ski again evan if you have to use a screwdriver to short the 2 connections (bypassing the soliniod) lots of 2 stoke oil and starter fluid and light it up
    or if you dont like your motor ,leave it alone tommorow and by sunday you will need SBT to sell you some overpriced underbuilt parts calage they call rebuilds
    mattman

ski

The screw driver trick didn't work but I don't think there is any water in it anymore because I got it all of it out that same day. I dont no why but when I stomp down on it a little bit every now and again it will try to turn over.

Thread Information