Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Engine cooling question

What system does the Yamaha 4 stroke use for cooling the engine and exhaust? Is it raw water? Meaning the water you ride in cools the system?
    I have a SeaDoo and it uses coolant like a car and uses the rideplate as the heat exchange. I have been contemplating going open loop which utilizes the raw water cooling. I ride 95% of the time in salt water and although I flush my ski with Salt Away or Dawn liquid detergent it is still a concern for me. If the Yamaha uses raw water to cool the engine, have you had any problems with corrosion? How long do you flush it for when you get home? Does the engine bay stay pretty cool? Thanks in advance for the information.

uses as you say raw water. I cant really speak to salt water though...

+1
    i ride almost only in salt. i flush for 5 minutes (mostly idle and a few hits below 3k rpm) then i use salt-away for 30 seconds. I have never ever had an issue with corrosion in any of my 3 yamis. just spary a little saltaway in the engine compartment when you finnish and let it dry. Also, i do use wd40 (gasp!) but i spray a little on a paper towel and just wipe any screws, bolts, etc that look a little spotty. just be careful to only use a little and only get it on metaL.

+1
    "I flush my ski with Salt Away or Dawn liquid"

not to hijack,i've heard using dishwashing liquid(instead of saltaway)works just as well,and is way cheaper!!!

boaters have been telling me this for years....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybat View Post
    "I flush my ski with Salt Away or Dawn liquid"

not to hijack,i've heard using dishwashing liquid(instead of saltaway)works just as well,and is way cheaper!!!

boaters have been telling me this for years....
    Yup. Same exact ingredients. A friend of mine that owns a boat repair shop to me to just use Dawn soap. 99 cents for the plain stuff.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    Yup. Same exact ingredients. A friend of mine that owns a boat repair shop to me to just use Dawn soap. 99 cents for the plain stuff.
    hum, I'm learning new stuff everyday

not to sound like a newbie, but how do you flush with the dish soap? I work at a boat repair shop and just flush with the hose, flush till the water coming out of the pisser doesn't taste salty. then wash the ski inside and out. hose everything down with clean fresh water. blow the engine dry and then use 656 lubricant on everything to prevent corrosion. I spray all in the pump and the cables also. take the plugs and spray lube in the cylinders and down the carbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    not to sound like a newbie, but how do you flush with the dish soap? I work at a boat repair shop and just flush with the hose, flush till the water coming out of the pisser doesn't taste salty. then wash the ski inside and out. hose everything down with clean fresh water. blow the engine dry and then use 656 lubricant on everything to prevent corrosion. I spray all in the pump and the cables also. take the plugs and spray lube in the cylinders and down the carbs.
    I use this. http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MixerPage.htm Just fill it and flush. Cleans all the internals. A friend of mine at a boat repair place told me about the Dawn soap and said the risers were still like new inside even after 10 years.

^^^ I took that Pic!^^^ PixxByTango's Avatar
    I went to the Garden section at Home depot and bought a fertilizer sprayer. I flush with that using Dawn and continue til I cannot taste salt, running the engine for 5 minutes or so... then shutting it down to let it go cold for the final rinse. I also clamp the hose to the pump so all the hose pressure flows through the engine and intercooler. Once I finish flushing the engine, I clamp the engine feed hose and backflush the pump to make sure no sand or debris is left inside.

JUST REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE CLAMP!! I forgot yesterday an immediately the warning light and beep let me know I forgot!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    I use this. http://www.saltawayproducts.com/MixerPage.htm Just fill it and flush. Cleans all the internals. A friend of mine at a boat repair place told me about the Dawn soap and said the risers were still like new inside even after 10 years.

Wont using this leave residue of Dawn behind. Are you supposed to use this first then follow it up with only water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information