Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

96 GSX 787 need help

Did not run jet ski last year. Cleaned carbs, installed new fuel. Ski started great and sputtered allitle then ran great 59MPH. Next day aroung 3000 RPM acted like running on one cylinder for awhile then takes off and runs great. Same thing the next day. Does not act up untill I seem to put a load on the engine. I changed the plugs, jet is clear and turns free without the plugs. Carb was clean had alittle dirt in the filters. Not sure what I should check next. I don't think its a fuel problem. Not sure what the pop offs do in the carb?I was thinking mabe I have a bad plug wire. After it gets going everything seems great. What is your take?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Rectifier. Split the gray box, unplug the thick red wire on the one that has it and three other thick yellow wires. Take it for a ride and see if the problem disappears. If so, the rectifier is bad. Don't ride too long, as you are running solely off the battery.

I'm seeing more and more of these R/R module problems as these skiis show their age. That and Fuel line degradation / contamination....

Yes David. I'm surprised some of the originals have lasted that long. I honestly feel people using more than 2 amps charging and booster boxes are killing them moreso than age.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    If you unhook the plug on top of the rear electrical box than there should be no power going to the grey box up front when charging a battery.

Ok I split the gray box and found the red and yellow wires. Are you saying to unplug just the red or the red and yellows wires. I also noticed that when I plug in the lanyard I no longer get the two chirps. The engine does start so I know its reading the chip, didn't know it it is related to the other problem.
    Another issue I have is the fuel gage not working. I check it with a ohm meter and reading 99 ohms at about half tank. I shorted out the other leads and the gage went to full. Do you disconnect the fill hose, straps, and wiring and tilt the tank and pull out the engine side. Is that the best way? It really does help to talk to someone who know how to do things. Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Buckeye; 08-09-2009 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added additional information

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    unplug the thick red wire

I must have been editing mine when you replied. Please look at # 6 again. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    I must have been editing mine when you replied. Please look at # 6 again. Thanks
    Yes, you were...

The fuel gauge problem is just the magnet/float fell out of the pickup. When trailering and the tank is empty, the float can bang the bottom cap off the pickup, allowing the float to fall out. It's an easy fix but you do have to pull the tank and fish it out. The tank will come to the front bucket hole, no need to move the engine if you don't have to.

The beeper is probably bad in the handlebar pad. They intermittently beep when they are failing.

Happy wrenching...

Took the ski out today, looks like the rectifer is bad. I disconnected the red wire and ran about 10 minutes without any problems. Tied it back in and in about 5 minutes started acting up again. The beeper started working again today, looks like I may need to replace. I will try and get the fuel sensor out today. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information