Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

99 XLT Stalls and takes a while to start

Just replaced the impeller on 99 xlt 1200 pv. The last trip the ski died on me and did not want to start. Pretty sure it was b/c fuel.

Took the ski out today with a full tank of gas. It took a min to start but it did. As soon as I got up to speed it ran fine for a min. Then it died on me again. Like it ran out of fuel. Sounds like a carb problem.

However, when I tried to start it back up right away it did not even want to turn over. Like the battery was dead. I let it sit for a few min. and it cranked back up. Took off fine and died the same way 200yards away. I had to repeat this process untill I got to shore.

So wierd that it does not even want to turn over at first. Then after a while it charges back up and will run.

Could it be electrical??? Catalytic converter??? Carb???? Any suggestions........

Test the compression make sure it is not dropping a cylinder they should all be close to each other stock like 120, sounds like it is locking up on you when it gets hot check for oil in bottom of the hull are you still oil injected or premixed

Not on premix. No oil in bottom of ski.

Could it be a stator of solonid??? When I restart there is nothing. I let it sit and it get a little stronger and eventually starts. Will run at slow to moderate speed but nowhere close to FT. Also sounuds rough when at idle.

I will check the compression. Why would it go bad all the sudden. How do I fix bad compression??? Top end rebuild?????

this sounds exactly like the issue i am currently having. same ski and everything. just had the front piston and rings done to. Cruising along and just dies on me. I think it may be getting hot and then causing the problem. i'm not sure. i have to do a compression test but i'm doing something wrong because the reading is 0 on the one cylinder and 30 on the others. Had this when it was running fine to so I don't want to say it's a cylinder yet.

+1
    make sure a powervalve didnt drop into your motor

Took the ski to the shop the other day(Castle Powersports Nashville, TN) and talked to a mechanic Carl(I think). I described the problem to him and he pulled the plugs. By looking at the plugs he informed me that I had dropped a cylinder and that the piston must be replaced. He told me that it might be the PV and to check that 1st. Then he said if that was fine it might be something with the carb??? I can't remember for sure. The guy was extremely helpful but I was a little blinded by the news. Dude was unbelieveable he explained ever bit of the fix to me...made it sound simple. Awesome tech and a great shop. He rough estimated $1200 which I dont have. He did say that it was good that it was the cylinder furthest to the rear though. No sure if I am going to take on project yet or part ski out. Could use some extra cash!!!

He said it was cutting out b/c that cylinder was over heating and locking up which causes it to stall and take a while to start.

I did take the cover off that PV today though and it seemed to be intact. However, there was a ton of caked up grease of/oil/carbon residue or something. But the pin was still in place. Can take pics if needed. I spent ~5 min riding the ski at low speeds and it was fine but died when over 1/2 throttle. Could the residue be un burnt oil that accumulated???

Anyone know what else could have caused this??? What that other thing might have been. I might just try to call the guy at Castle Powersports to see it he can remind me.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!! This forum is awesome.
    Last edited by joeg12345; 08-12-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by antsws6ta View Post
    this sounds exactly like the issue i am currently having. same ski and everything. just had the front piston and rings done to. Cruising along and just dies on me. I think it may be getting hot and then causing the problem. i'm not sure. i have to do a compression test but i'm doing something wrong because the reading is 0 on the one cylinder and 30 on the others. Had this when it was running fine to so I don't want to say it's a cylinder yet.
    Sorry dude have not been on for a while. Devistated by the news. Hope you are not in the same situation.....

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    pull the head and take pics and post, probably went lean (not enough fuel) because the carbs need to be rebuilt... the guys on here are generally 100 times better than any shop.... if its only the 3rd piston and cyl and rebuilding the carbs, prob 550 - 600 bucks to fix yourself...

Ohhhhhhh Damage!!!!!

Man that stringer took some coaxing to get out. I got the heads off and the third cylinder is definately trashed!!!!!!!!!!!! I took some pics but there is no doubt. I can't believe all this damage from a lean carb. Does that seem right??? Should I look for another cause??? Here are the cylinder pics and the pv pic.

I guess I am going to pull the carbs. I really dont want to rebuild them myself though. I hate all that fine tuning. Any suggestions on getting them sent somewhere or price range for rebuild???

Anyone know where I can purchase cheap parts for the 3rd cylinder rebuild??? Also if anyone has step by step instructions...This is my first time in a cylinder EVER!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180051.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	691.0 KB 
ID:	146489   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180053.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	683.7 KB 
ID:	146490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8180040.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	731.5 KB 
ID:	146491  

If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar
    pull the carbs and send them off, oside bill, Jim's performance in tampa does it... i think there are a few more... get the works done though dont shortcut them.... also someone will coment on the pics....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information