Merc M2 trim options

I am looking for ways to reduce porpoising of challenger 2000. Above 30 mph boat wants to start bouncing. I sure wish it had VTS like the skis and dissapointed Mercury or Seadoo did not have a trim system. Seems like it would have been easy to design a trim nozzle for this jet.

It looks like traditional hull mounted trim tabs would not work on this transom. I found some options by searching Internet.

This trim system replaces the trim plate on the pump itself.
    http://www.placediverter.com/index.php?page=mercury

another was a complete jet pump replacement for $2000

I was also wondering if the existing trim plate can be adjusted down enough to help.

Any suggestions? Has anyone here installed a trim system on their M2 boat?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    My mercury plate is adjustable... but it's nothing like having trim tabs

I did adjust factory trim plate down about 1/2 to 3/4 inch and it made a nice improvement to ride. No more porpoising or bow bounce above 30mph like it did with zero trim. Seems to steer easier as well.

Couple of options

You can use the Place Trim system, basically it replaces your manually adjusted trim plate with a hydro one. Lenco makes a system for your boat
    as well. Smart tabs work, but you pretty much loose reverse. Good Luck!

I'm surprised you had to do that! I've had a 2000 for a few years now and I have the plate up as far as possible for speed. I've got the Optimax 250 in it so there is nothing heavier over her ass and I never get a hint of porpoise. The closest I get is having 3 people across the back and no one up front, it does 2-3 'bounces' as it planes out from a start, but even then at no speed will it set up a steady bounce.

Greg

I have seen lots of posts on several different boards about porposing problems with these boats, yours is the first I have seen that does not. In any case my boat would not go above 30 without it bouncing. I adjusted the trim plate down about as far as it will go to see if it would help and the ride is much better. It also steers with much less effort than before.

As far as never having heard of it, there's 2 other 2000's in our marina that I'm pretty sure don't do it as well, both are 240's. You have to remember too, no one is going to write an artical in a forum saying "my boat won't porpoise, what can I do to fix it"

It is odd though, beside the weight of the block, the only difference otherwise is gear ratio. It's not like they used different housings or nozzles.

It does suck that no one stepped up to the plate with the M2's.. You can buy all kinds of diverters, nozzle trims etc etc for Berkley's and other makes. Not one thing except a Solas impeller for the M2 and from what I have read, even it is just a stock alternative.

By the way, if you ever need an impeller socket, don't spend the money on Merc's. Buy a socket for a VW wheel nut (think it was 46mm), cut it in 1/2 and braze a chunk of 1.5" exhaust pipe between the 12pt socket 1/2 and the square drive 1/2.. Cost me about $15.. Old VW Beetles use that 46mm and it works out to be a hair over the 1 13/16 nut size.

Greg

sea doo bounce

The bounce is more pronounced in the 14.5 and 18ft hulls. There are some
    cool stuff for the M2, drop nozzles are not one of them. Two stroke V6s do not even come close to the weight of the V8 big blocks, so a lot of the jet
    stuff of earlier types do not apply.
    You can of course trim the boat for speed, and forget it. Once a bounce
    starts, a quick nudge of the wheel in any direction will stop it, and level the
    boat. But, if you must have trim, you have three options, plus a trim ring.
    Between the 4, you should be able to get what you want I prefer driving my boat as to working on it. The steering method works well and is very reliable!

Agreed Paulie. I do love to tinker with things, but that boat and the Opti are soooo simple to own! I've only done 1 set of plugs in 4 years, check gear oil yearly and change every 2 years and winterizing is a grand total of 15mins work. They really are plug and play boats.

Greg

Thread Information