Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

duramax vs. powerstroke

im looking at getting rid of the cobalt in a few months and getting a truck. Im having a hard time deciding between the for f250 super duty with a powerstroke and the gm 2500 hd. im looking at 03-07 trucks with the ford id like a 05-07 becuase i heard the suspension was better on the trucks for those years.

im curious two see how what other member have to say especially those that have driven both.

+1
    I have an 07 Duramax, I had it programed just a basic one. Gave me about 200-250 more miles fuel economy.. And I picked up about 120hp and increased torque.. I am VERY happy with the motor in this thing... I hear the Fords are a bit hard on fuel unless programed..

I like the look and fit and finish better in the Fords too..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray152003 View Post
    im looking at getting rid of the cobalt in a few months and getting a truck. Im having a hard time deciding between the for f250 super duty with a powerstroke and the gm 2500 hd. im looking at 03-07 trucks with the ford id like a 05-07 becuase i heard the suspension was better on the trucks for those years.

im curious two see how what other member have to say especially those that have driven both.
    If your looking for an 05 to 07 DO NOT GET A FORD. That was the exact years of the dreaded 6.0 powerstroke. They were ok if you did nothing to them with a chip or if you didn't tow anything heavy but as soon as you do one of the two the engine overheats and warps the heads! I know because I towed my dads boat to Florida twice with his 6.0 and both times we had to limp back with a blown motor. He ended up trading that truck in on a duramax, a much better truck in my opinion. Hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum0286 View Post
    If your looking for an 05 to 07 DO NOT GET A FORD. That was the exact years of the dreaded 6.0 powerstroke. They were ok if you did nothing to them with a chip or if you didn't tow anything heavy but as soon as you do one of the two the engine overheats and warps the heads! I know because I towed my dads boat to Florida twice with his 6.0 and both times we had to limp back with a blown motor. He ended up trading that truck in on a duramax, a much better truck in my opinion. Hope this helps.
    I forgot to add that when we were going to florida we were running with a duramax towing a similar boat and he smoked us everytime.

+1
    The Duramax is a good motor BUT,,,, the tranny cant hold up. A friend of mine is a GM mechanic and he said the trannys are are going out left & right and that when it comes in for warranty they will fix it but they will also turn down your horse power and not tell you about it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum0286 View Post
    i heard the early duramax had an over heating issue to. i cant remember the year but if i remember correctly the quick fix for it was swapping out the radiator from a later model truck.

what are you guys seeing for fuel millage between the two trucks.im not to concerned with fuel millage but i curious to see the difference in real world numbers between the two

I second not getting the 6.0l Ford. My buddy has a stock one, and has had nothing but problems with the engine. It is in the shop now. I think it is the intercooler is leaking into the engine? It is a couple thousand to fix. This is the second time. He replaced the head gaskets. Something with EGR valve. If you want a Ford, go older or newer.

I'd heard the Alison's in the GM's were badazz?

No?

+1
    cummins! programmed turbo 6.4l with pull tractor trailers with ease. check youtube.

+1
    82K miles on my 06 2500HD CC 4x4, with the Duramax LBZ. I bought it new Jan 07. I have done all the required maintenance and only issue I have had so far, is a front wheel bearing went out. I do have bigger rims and tires on it. I have an Edge controller in it and had a couple issues with it early on, would get a crank position sensor error, sent it back to edge for an update and worked great ever since. I can average 19-20 on the highway and 17 around town, not bad for the way I drive

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information