Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Red face Carb Issues 1995 SPI

Hi,

This forum is great first of thanks to all. I just bought this "project". Have done compression check 145-150 both cylinders. Exhaust is spitting water. Have replaced 3/4 of the grey lines with new ones....takes time because I am a beginner.

In the course of replacing the fuel lines I took the air filter off and found two small fuel lines going into a "T" and forward to the primer in the front of the ski. Anyway one of these "lines" literally comes off in my hand if I move the little fuel line. I don't think that is "correct", so what do I seal it with?

Also I am definitely afraid of taking the carb out but this ski bogs at top end...like it is starving or ???? I am reading all the posts on carb issues. What is the best thing this beginner can do in addition to carb cleaner? IF I get daring where do I go to get the rebuild kit?

Thanks

+1
    slipnot, replace ALL the old grey fuel line. Just aproblem waiting to happen if you dont. I replaced all mine but waited to late and had to remove carbs to clean filters in the carbs. The "DIY-fuel system cleaning" thread was a great help. I didn't have to buy kits and haven't had any problems since. Buy some good all stainless steel clamps. Those lines must be tight.

+1
    Did you have to replace the fuel selector or filters? I took it out "after I got it somewhat running". The same darn thing happened. Had it finally FT is was hesitating a little at top end. Spun the sucker out and me off of it and it wouldn't start again......towed home in disgrace. Ran the battery down trying to start the sucker.

Any idea on what the two little lines going into the carbs are about. Look like they T and then go to the primer in the front of the ski.

+1
    Another dumb question, do you work on your skis on a stand, the trailer, or in the water???

Sorry newbie here.

+1
    I'm fairly new too with these type carbs. Some of the experts can chime in.
    I work off the trailer mostly but use a home made stand also. Usually don't put on the stand in the summer. I didn't replace anything, tiny filters are in the carbs probably causing your problem. Carbs must be removed to get them out. They can be cleaned with good carb cleaner or acetone. Store brand carb claener does work for this get something stronger like gumout. Be careful not to damage the filters. Clean the selector vavle also. See thread under the seadoo 2 stroke section " DIY - Fuel System Cleaning " good info.

My skis don't have the primer but it sounds like you traced it down to the primer so i bet thats what they are for. From my dealings with other carbs these must be tight also to seal carb. Replace those lines too if necessary with new clamps. Good luck.

+1
    I noticed in some other posts that some skis take different sizes of fuel lines. What size and lengths should I look for my 95 spi?

+1
    Replaced all the fuel lines. Took the fuel filter off and unfortunately used carb cleaner on it and put it back on. I did blow it out with compressed air and everything seemed to be okay before I reconnected it. I did the same thing to fuel selector. Now the ski runs with primer, but little else. What did I screw up???

Any ideas?

I know you don"t want to hear this. but inside the side plate of your carbs is a small filter, this will collect TRASH from from gray fuel lines breaking down and cut the fuel off to the carbs. can cause it to BOG,
    cut off and shut down, no start... or worse.. run lean and burn a piston
    up. should be able to take the throttle and chock cable, and fuel lines,
    remove two bolts from each carbs and lift them off, then take 4 screws
    off side plate pull filter out, blow with compress air, re-insert and re-install. and you should be good to go! sounds easy... but its a little bit of a job. once you done it once ot twice.. its a whizz!

+1
    Slipnot, Wickedpony is right on the money. Carbs must come off. You will only have to remove the inlet side of the carb to access filters. Look at diagram http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/sbn_rebuild-kit.pdf to see how and find filters. Clean with carb cleaner and q-tip, also clean inlet barbs where hose was attached(mine had gooo in there). One carb will have pump assemble and other will not, Filter is the same in both.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by slipnot View Post
    Did you have to replace the fuel selector or filters? I took it out "after I got it somewhat running". The same darn thing happened. Had it finally FT is was hesitating a little at top end. Spun the sucker out and me off of it and it wouldn't start again......towed home in disgrace. Ran the battery down trying to start the sucker.
    when everyou roll it over make sure that you didnt hydro lock the engine. if it is hard to crank or will not crank. pull the plugs and crank it over..water will shoot out of the plug holes. the more you can get out the better. you have water in the engine that went through the carbs

Any idea on what the two little lines going into the carbs are about. Look like they T and then go to the primer in the front of the ski.
    that would be your oil injection lines. do you add oil or are you premixing?

I noticed in some other posts that some skis take different sizes of fuel lines. What size and lengths should I look for my 95 spi?
    30ft of 1/4" fuel lines will do the job...you dont have to do the vent lines

Replaced all the fuel lines. Took the fuel filter off and unfortunately used carb cleaner on it and put it back on. I did blow it out with compressed air and everything seemed to be okay before I reconnected it. I did the same thing to fuel selector. Now the ski runs with primer, but little else. What did I screw up???

Any ideas?
    are you sure you have a primer? do you have to pump the primer or is it a choke?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedpony2007 View Post
    I know you don"t want to hear this. but inside the side plate of your carbs is a small filter, this will collect TRASH from from gray fuel lines breaking down and cut the fuel off to the carbs. can cause it to BOG,
    cut off and shut down, no start... or worse.. run lean and burn a piston
    up. should be able to take the throttle and chock cable, and fuel lines,
    remove two bolts from each carbs and lift them off, then take 4 screws
    off side plate pull filter out, blow with compress air, re-insert and re-install. and you should be good to go! sounds easy... but its a little bit of a job. once you done it once ot twice.. its a whizz!
    +1..I sent you pics slipnot. I hope that you understand what I was pointing at

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information