Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ^^^ I took that Pic!^^^ PixxByTango's Avatar

Cutting the stock grate..???

Has anyone done this and with what results...? I am re-installing my pump after tuning on my stock impeller this week. I plan to seal everything up with Aviation ProSeal so there are no gaps, seal lines or holes exposed. While looking at everything I noticed how thick the three bars of the intake grate are and wondered what top speed gains could be had by cutting the two side bars out and leaving the center one or just by cutting the center and leaving two outer ones....

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm...

Post up if you have an idea. I am in the garage putting this beyotch back together now.

The only thing that gets sealed is the pump shoe. What are you sealing? Don't bother sealing the pump to the nozzel...etc no gaings. there. Also the stock grate is junk as is and cutting more out of it would be pretty dangerous!!

By the way you live in Savannah and you have pro seal? You work for Gulfstream?

Quote Originally Posted by scittb View Post
    By the way you live in Savannah and you have pro seal? You work for Gulfstream?
    No I don't work for Gulfstream. I have a few cans that were thrown out because the "DATES" were expired but the stuff is fine.

+1
    The TBM Adjustable Intake Grates go on sale next week. The main scoop and rear chip can be entirely removed. That will give probably the highest top speed and acceleration.

Historically, cuttng up grates has not been a good thing.

Only on the X-skis have I heard an issue with stuffing when cutting a stock grate and that was because the wing was removed. The SHO doesn't have one and the thick bars look like nothing more than an obstruction. Sure having a R&D top loader would be nice but I am trying to see what gains can be made with the stock stuff.

I also clipped the blades on the factory impeller to see what if any gains/loses will be had there. Mind you I have many years of prop bending/wizardry on Formula1 and 120 GP boats... so I am incorporating a little of the tweaks I have learned there to see if any will translate to impellers.

+1

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by PixxByTango View Post
    Has anyone done this and with what results...? I am re-installing my pump after tuning on my stock impeller this week. I plan to seal everything up with Aviation ProSeal so there are no gaps, seal lines or holes exposed. While looking at everything I noticed how thick the three bars of the intake grate are and wondered what top speed gains could be had by cutting the two side bars out and leaving the center one or just by cutting the center and leaving two outer ones....

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm...

Post up if you have an idea. I am in the garage putting this beyotch back together now.
    I would not do that. Install an aftermarket grate for safety.

Quote Originally Posted by PixxByTango View Post
    Only on the X-skis have I heard an issue with stuffing when cutting a stock grate and that was because the wing was removed. The SHO doesn't have one and the thick bars look like nothing more than an obstruction. Sure having a R&D top loader would be nice but I am trying to see what gains can be made with the stock stuff.

I also clipped the blades on the factory impeller to see what if any gains/loses will be had there. Mind you I have many years of prop bending/wizardry on Formula1 and 120 GP boats... so I am incorporating a little of the tweaks I have learned there to see if any will translate to impellers.

So, you're not really asking...

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    I would not do that. Install an aftermarket grate for safety.
    I have pretty much ditched the idea and just sealing everything flush for now. When I can spare the bones I will get the R&D grate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information