New to the site w/Polaris problems

Looks like some good information here and im sure I'll need it.

I just bought our first PWC - Polaris SLTH this weekend. This thing is in execellent condition inside and out. Also has several mods like the pull-down step bar? (not sure of the technical name) and sponsons (not sure if they are stock or added).

The previous owner stated the thing ran great till just recently when it started having trouble with top speed. He states that it runs great while putting around but if you nail the throttle it will go for 10-15 secs then nose over and barely run. It will idle and thats it until you either let it sit or shut it off and restart.

I'll be taking it out to the lake tomorrow morning for the maden voyage and to diagnose the fuel starvation problem. It does still have the grey hoses (which I've learned from here, they are trouble makers) so im sure some carb rebuilding and hose replacement is in my future!

The MFD didnt work orginally but found that to be just a blown fuse. Hoping to keep this thing going for at least the rest of the summer and maybe next year too.

+1
    Hi Piston, WELCOME to the Green Hulk Forums!!

For sure rebuild those carbs and get that damn line replaced. If it were mine I'd install a fuel pressure gauge and make sure you have good pressure at WOT.

How about a photo of your new to you ride??

Here she is! The pic is from the previous owner, without any cleanup done (I plan on taking new pics of it today). I spent a little time on it yesterday with the polisher, man this thing is dam near perfect.

This morning I decided to go ahead and replace all the fuel line before we go to the lake. I'm sure I'll need to pull the carbs but I want to see how it does overall before I invest any real time or money into it.

BTW, are carb kits available still, or will I need to make gaskets for it?

Be careful- if its running lean it WILL cook a piston. They make some new "ethanol" friendly fuel line now thats white in color. Probably need to go to a marine supply house to get it. Take the carbs apart and make sure they are clean. Not hard to do and better safe than sorry.

Just got back from the lake, it did exactly what I was told it would... leaning out on the top end. Now its time to dig into the carbs and inspect.

I've been around bikes since I was old enough to walk, so the basic knowledge is there, I just don't know all the tips/tricks of these things yet.

Other than the lean issue, it ran perfect and seemed very easy to manuever.

Problem solved! Cleaned out the carbs and replaced all fuel lines and she runs like a champ now

It was nice to see the screws had fallen out of the sideplate and were rubbing against the diaphram , and the seat screens were plugged solid with green crap.

Screw fell out of plate, riding on diaphram.

Carb#1 Seat filter screen nearly plugged solid

Carb #2 Seat screen plugged solid (the rest of the restriction is laying in the carb)

Thread Information