Thread: Wear Ring Fit?

Wear Ring Fit?

Okay , I replaced my wear ring but it sticks out of the housing full 1/4" and it seems (to me) because of this when i install it on my ski it is touching the thru way thus my drive shaft does not go all the way in ...should the wear ring be flush with the housing or is the 1/4" the way it is supposed to be? look at the images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring and Shaft.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	145149  

+1
    i think that your wear ring should go in farther...plus make sure that impellar is on the shaft seated correctly.

+1
    They do stick out a bit..Yours looks right..

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Finncolors, slide a long screwdriver into the back of the pump and gently pry on an impeller blade. You probably just need to turn it a bit to line up the splines... Should slide right on.

You have to understand I have taken the pump apart and the wear ring is on all the way and the shaft is on all the way ....I think what im going to do is shave 1/4" off the end of the wear ring this will allow the pump to get closer to the pump mounting bolts thus allowing the shaft to enter in the impeller a little more ....I was just checking to see if the wear ring needed to be flush with the housing ....maybe was given a wrong wear ring maybe too wide. Ill do this and see what happens?

+1
    The wear ring sticks out a little on my pump, too. I have replaced it twice now. You should be able to push the pump up against the pumpshoe by hand. If you can't you may not be getting the shaft lined up with the prop splines.

+1
    You know looking at your pictures. The clearance between the prop and new wear ring looks kind of wide. Is that a OEM wear ring? You could measure the distance at the pumpshoe to pump. To see if the wear ring is the right depth.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by finncolors View Post
    You have to understand I have taken the pump apart and the wear ring is on all the way and the shaft is on all the way ....I think what im going to do is shave 1/4" off the end of the wear ring this will allow the pump to get closer to the pump mounting bolts thus allowing the shaft to enter in the impeller a little more ....I was just checking to see if the wear ring needed to be flush with the housing ....maybe was given a wrong wear ring maybe too wide. Ill do this and see what happens?

Is your pump not butting up against the pump shoe when torqued down?????If there is a gap between the pump and shoe then i would say there is an issue..You should not have to cut or grind off any part of an OEM wear ring if it is the right one and is installed properly...Of all the wear rings i have replaced they have stuck out about that far..I wouldnt cut that wear ring until you have a spare..If you cut it and it doesnt work your gonna have a 1/4 inch gap in the pump tunnel therefor you will now have a cavitation problem..also if you do that and you put to much pressure on the driveshaft/pop assmbly you could tear up the thrust washers in the motor.

Me personaly would pull that wear ring back out and reinstall your old one if you still have it and see how that one fitted into your pump..

That's pretty much where it needs to be As long as you see that the inside end of the ring int eh pump is flush with no spacing then you are fine. The rings stick out that far -- it's normal.

Quote Originally Posted by finncolors View Post
    Okay , I replaced my wear ring but it sticks out of the housing full 1/4" and it seems (to me) because of this when i install it on my ski it is touching the thru way thus my drive shaft does not go all the way in ...should the wear ring be flush with the housing or is the 1/4" the way it is supposed to be? look at the images

Thanks guys for your input, most helpful. this is a great forum . will be using it in the future. Thanks again

Thread Information