Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Supercharger fail again.............

I had the supercharger fully rebuilt at 89 hours ,now 40 hours later (18 months) it needs rebuilding again , ski is a gtx 2003, one of the washers next to the 17 tooth sprocket has gone, when it was in the shop the last time getting supercharger rebuilt i had oil and filter done. Seadoo filter was replaced and the oil was replaced with 15W40.

My question is why would you replace the oil with 15W40 when 5W40 oil is recomended and would this have contributed to the supercharger failing?? Any help would be greatley appricated as i dont wnt this to happen again!!!!!

Sorry to hear your troubles.

I have a 2003 GTX and a 2004 GTX.

The 2003 GTX is worked and has seen 80mph GPS. Has 150 hours on metal washers.

The 2004 GTX is completely standard and is the Mrs ride. Has done 260 hours on standard washers believe it or not.

Neither ski has dropped the washers.

Did approx 100km ride today cruising average of 50mph entire way.

Two thoughts;

1.) You're riding it too hard. e.g. jumping surf or consistantly unhooking for long periods of time. Or
    2.) Whoever is working on your ski is doing something wrong. Have you tried a different builder? No offence if you are doing it yourself, but perhaps having a third party try and solve the problem?

I forgot to mention the grade of oil -I will check tomorrow with the workshop as to exactly what they put in our skis

I dont thrash it or use it for wave jumpin just cruzin with the misses and sometimes 3 up ,as i also have a 01 xp for the exact oppersite thrashin ,wave jumpin, racin mates ect ect

The work done was from a reputable jetski sales and service shop or I thought so. I just dont know why 15W40 was used instead of 5W40 and if this would of contributed to the supercharger failer, because of to much heat or it being to thin or to thick oil or other reasons. I took it back to them and they say its a seadoo problemed parts , but has it happened to anyone else after only 40 hours after being fully rebuilt. If its not the oil i can tick that of the list and look else were for the problem.

+1
    The oil shouldnt have anything to do with the Scer clutches failing as long as your letting the ski warm up before riding..It sounds to me like there is a slip issue...Setting the slip up to high and unhooking the ski, hard acceration and de-acceleration will eat up a set of clutch washers real fast..

+1
    Since the shop knows that the ceramic washers are problematic, why the hell would they rebuild your sc with them when they can just as easily use the metal ones?

OBJ

+1
    I believe the 03's came with factory metal ones

+1
    the 03 didnt have any clutch washers as we are all familiar with them, just gear to spring washer etc, eventually lost friction from wear and started to slip.
    if your shop rebuilt with an 06 update kit, which is possible cuz it was a while ago, they used an oem rebuild kit that came with ceramic washers,i am assuming they did cuz you say one of the washers is gone, that sounds like a ceramic washer desintigration.
    the ceramics were known weakness that seadoo ignored for several years, but finally upgraded to all metal washers in all their skis in 2008, the oem rebuild kits all come with metal washers too.
    ceramics were known to desintigrate at low hours mysteriously, usually from hard riding, but also sometimes just from being there, perhaps assembled wrong by dealer, but after 40 hrs... hmmmm, problaby just another failure attributed to crappy ceramic washers being inferior material for the clutch.
    sorry to hear it.
    the oil wasnt a major contributor to this happening.

+1
    You need to verify if they installed a post-2003 ceramic washer kit in there. If they did then you have a big problem, and you need to hold them to the repair, read here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19887

Thanks to everyone for quick replys and input .
    The rebuild kit is 881947 , i have spoken to the seadoo dealer and he says using anything else but 5w 40 seadoo oil may cause slipage or failure , seadoo are very specific about what to use in there engines weather 2 stroke or 4 stroke that why I dont know why 15w 40 oil was used by the other dealer.

Does anyone else out there use 15w40 oil in there seadoo ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information