Thread: Marina Fuel????

Marina Fuel????

I have ask this question in other forum but not here and want to get you opinion about it..

I went to a couple of Marina around my area to ask about their gas if it had 10% ethanol and every one of them said yes that gas now has ethanol no matter where you get it.. Now when I went to rent ski and talk to the guys there and ask about putting gas in my ski when I get it they said to always put Marina Gas not street gas..

Now who to believe?? in Ethanol already in Marina gas too???

Thanks
    Felix

+1
    ethanol is all gas, be it marina or regular gas station. i believe the issue is that they are starting to use 15% ethanol in gas apposed to the current 10% ethanol in gas today. Car engines can handle either 10% or 15% but marine engines have a harder time.

Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    ethanol is all gas, be it marina or regular gas station. i believe the issue is that they are starting to use 15% ethanol in gas apposed to the current 10% ethanol in gas today. Car engines can handle either 10% or 15% but marine engines have a harder time.
    So that's meaning that Ski makers would have to marine engine that can handle that right..

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    hhhmmm
    i sell non -eth gas at my work both on the water and on the road..
    i think 4 stokes handle the eth gas fine -buy most 2 strokes are so close to the edge of pinging,detanation,or just blowing up due to low octane fuel
    mattman
    ps ---2.65 87 eth- on the street
    2.85 90 -no eth on the street
    3.00 90 -no eth on th water

Marine fuel costs more than street. If i owned a marina, I would tell ya to fill up at my marina also just to make a buck?

+1
    A lot of the marinas on the water at Lake of the Ozarks (where I ride) advertise ethanol free gasoline. Now whether it actually is ethanol free or not I have no idea.

The ethanol is very bad for a lot of the older boat's gas tanks. It can eat away at them and cause leaks. It's also not very good for carburetors either from what I am told.

You're new four stroke ski should be able to handle the ethanol in most gasoline just fine.

I got used to ethanol free gas in nebraska, i just moved to florida a couple mos ago. I notice a difference in how my truck eats gas with ethanol. In nebraska only plus had ethanol and it was on avg, .10 cheaper than regular.

I never had a problem with my gpr since it ran 93 which had no ethanol.

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    in some parts of the country 10% ethanol has been the norm since the mid '80's. any engine built since then is designed to handle up to 10% ethanol. Check you owners manual. no problem at all running it in any of my cars, ski's, outboards, boats, lawn mowers, ect, ect.

i remember about 8 years ago i had a 72 larson i/o boat, 4 cylinder with a reg carb. The accelerator plunger kept swelling up and causing it to invert like an unbrella in the wind and would not accelerate again. Finally i started putting Shell gas (i think) which had no or less ethanol. prob solved. IDK about now days. but im guessing thats why the diaphrams and gaskets seem swell up too. Im not a mechanic so just my best guess.

Tango, I used to work for sun oil in the engineering dept. I had a role in the design project of a modern ethanol plant within the refinery.

Ethanol is theorized on the fact that modern fuel systems typically use neoprene and plastics like delrin which are not affected by the degredation of fuels or their additives to cause failure. The major downfall of ethanol is that it will scrub your fuel system clean, requiring fuel filters to clog more often. The makeup of ethanol is also harmful to other products, like a fiberglass hull, or worse, the fiberglass fuel tank of an older boat. The ethanol can damage iron parts as well, and I think it adds wear to in tank fuel pumps.

I am sure you could research the benefit vs the negative, and it is very environmentally friendly, and easy to make.

Thread Information