Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Removal of S/S Wear Ring

I gotta start reversing my mods to find out why I am losing my A** in performance. I really doubt that a Power Pipe and air intake to the front could have killed my performance so I need to remove the S/S wear ring and put the plastic one back in to check it out. How do I get that thing out??

+1
    I haven't tried to take mine out yet, but I would try putting the pump in the freezer for an hour. It should shrink the wear ring enough to pull it out.

LOL Franko,

It is the Stainless Steel one

+1
    Got a sub-zero?

+1
    first thing is see if it is spinning, you should be able to do it by hand by grabbing it on 2 sides and just twisting it, if this happens then it is way too loose, if that wont work and you didnt use any type of adhesive then drill 2 very small holes on the upper part pf teh ring that sticks out, then you should be abele to work it out with a couple of picks or hooks, once you get a small gap on the botom side if you have access to a small slide hammer it works great, the freezer thing will not work, your best bet it to stick it in the oven for a little bit, or apply some heat to the pump housing so the alluminum expands around the ring, but if it is spinning by hand you should be abel to pull it right out

if you do the oven thing make sure u dont burn ur self. Because that would really suck. I would get like leather gloves and try pulling it out. A scrapper for dry wall/ paint will work too. It will also be able to work its way under the lip of the ring.

I would try to stick it in the microwave set on high with maybe some chilli or a roast beef sandwitch, if it dosen't work... who cares, you;ve got yourself a nice little lunch!

Did you pull the impeller yet and see any sign of scoring? I had a problem with my SS ring going in some housing are tighter than others, Sent it to Bruce and he fixed it and next day aired it back VERY STAND UP GUY not to many dealers stand behind there stuff. I found out my inner bearing was almost smoked and all the grease was burned. Never thoughts to grease the inner bearing just repack the outer one when changed impellers. Before you pull it out look to see if it had been spinning or there are no marks. He says that 100ís are out there and I havenít heard of any performance loss. The other side to this is if you have more hook up and might have strained your SC clutch and is slipping I run a boost gauge and if mine falls below 8.5Lbs its 300 RPM down. Call Bruce at Extreme Sports if you see a problem.

+1
    Bruce, the guy you bought it from knows how to easily remove them. Give him a call.

Burnwater,

I could not agree with you more about Bruce being a stand up guy. I only wish there were more dealers/people like him. I've already been talking to him today. Even if the wear ring turns out to be the problem, I would still consider it one of the best investments one could make, because of its previous results and what it does, but, the only way for me to be sure is to reverse the mods one at a time, and this was one of them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information