Banned User

98 XPL sunk need help

Hey guys I have a 98 XPL that got swamped due to high tide, I have all the water out of the motor what now what else should i be looking at doing, I am gonna drain the tank next, i have oiled everything i can think of so what else is next?? By the way it cranks over and has compression.

+1
    Well, you have to get it running ASAP. Run it on the hose for five minutes to start off and then get it on the water. You need to get it hot and keep it hot to try and get all the water out (you would be surprised how much can still be in there even after it is running).

Now, I am guessing by your description of events that it was in salt water. If so, it is pretty much dead where it sits. Even with fresh water floods I have never heard of one that lasted more than a year after that (and the ones that lasted longest were simply those with the least amount of hours in that time).

In fact, in the manual SD states that a saltwater flooded engine should be disassembled and rebuilt immediately.

Banned User
    well from what i am being told this ski was sunk and never run since it sat with water in it for a little over a month the guy put oil in the cyl to keep from locking up it turns over no problem, i have had the head off and see no rust in either hole. rebuilding the carbs next saturday and draining the tank.

+1
    If its had water in it for a month the crank bearings will be rusted and pitted so dont try to even start it as it will cause more damage and more $$$.Needs to be torn down and rebuilt totally.Try leaving water inside your car engine for a month and see what happens and salt water as well.

+1
    +1

It may run for a while but when it does fail it will be impressive. It is always neat when the rods make like Edward Scissorhands on the cases.

Banned User
    so tear it down and clean and lube it all and then just put it back together.

+1
    Yes tear it down and you will see the crank bearings are rusted as well as the top end bearings. These will have to be replaced no choice now its been too long sitting . So its a full rebuild im afraid (maybe your bores are ok) and probably new pistons/rings will be required.

Banned User
    hope so since its a 1050 guess only ting i could do is a hone on it and hope for the best.

Thread Information