Please help SLX 1200

I just bought my first jet ski in June and decided to buy a 2000 slx 1200. The second time I took out the Jet Ski it screamed hot at me when it did this it would kill my power last for about 10 seconds then go away. Then the third time I took out the ski it didnít do this at all. Then it did it again on the fourth the time I took it out. It did it all day every time I got it up to high speed. It would scream hot but the engine never felt hot. I did some looking on here and if I understand correctly my temperature sensor going out. Yesterday I fired it up in the lawn to check everything out and there were no problems. Nothing blocking the cooling system and the mdf was working right. So I thought it was the sensor going bad. Today I went to drop it in the lake and the mdf didnít work at all it just quit as soon as the ski hit the water. The display shows nothing at all I took the mdf out and it has power and ground at the connecter that plugs into the back of the mdf, but the mdf doesnít show anything. The Jet Ski has lost all of its power and will not even get out of the water. I understanding that this is the rev limiter kicking in just like when the hot light came on. Please help me with advice on this problem and where I can buy new parts if this is two problems or just one.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Just noticed your post now...

Click the link below to find some helpful info

The MFD is not critical to the engine operation, so you can run with it unplugged (unplug the connector behind the MFD). You won't see any warnings with the MFD unplugged, of course.

There is a fuse for the MFD inside the electrical box. Open the box, and make sure everything inside is clean and dry - no corrosion, no moisture.

Replace the MFD fuse with a 1/4 Amp fuse, no larger. Available at Radio Shack. There may also be a 3 Amp fuse for the bilge pump in there.

The temp sensor may be on the exhaust manifold, not the engine.

Is the oil or fuel level low? On some models, this will also trigger RPM limiter mode.

Thank you for your reply.

The Jet Ski runs now but I think itís in (limp mode) it wonít rev up and it has no power. I checked all the fuses and there good. There is no corrosion at all and nothing has gotten wet that I can tell. I believe the mdf just might be dead but Iím not sure why or what caused it to die. Like I said I tested the connecter at the back of the mdf and it has power and a ground on it so the mdf should be working but it isnít.

Dose anyone know where I can buy a new mdf along with the temperature sensor? I canít seam to be able to find one anywhere. I have found a place where I can buy a new mdf for a 2001 Polaris slx 1200 is there any difference from my 2000 polaris slx 1200? Will that one work in my jet ski?

All help is greatly appreciated thank you everyone.

RizzO
    +1
    "I have found a place where I can buy a new mdf for a 2001 Polaris slx 1200 is there any difference from my 2000 polaris slx 1200? Will that one work in my jet ski?"

There should be no diffrence at all. Does this place you found have more than 1 new MFD for 2001 Polaris??

I had A MFD go goofy on 1 of my 2000 Pro1200's, it made it run in limp mode, even though everything was good. I replaced the MFD and all is good. But I need another 1.
    Thanks RiZ

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Some MFD have a 12-pin connector, while most have 8-pins.

From my notes (which could be inaccurate);
    12-pin MFD was only used in the 1999-2000 Pro 785 and SLX models
    (3280307 Substituted by 2872638
    )

You can buy an adapter to use an 8-pin MFD on a 12-pin machine.

RizzO
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Some MFD have a 12-pin connector, while most have 8-pins.

From my notes (which could be inaccurate);
    12-pin MFD was only used in the 1999-2000 Pro 785 and SLX models
    (3280307 Substituted by 287263

You can buy an adapter to use an 8-pin MFD on a 12-pin machine.
    Very good point K447, My 2000 Pro1200 have 8 pin MFD's. I am not sure about the SLX or 785's for 1999-2000. Better count the pins on back. Randy(Watcon) has the 8 to 12 pin adapter, I believe its around $80.

thank you agian for the help
    mine is the 12 point so I might need to buy the adapter
    I'm not sure it was online, but I will let you know if they do have more then one

RizzO
    +1
    Please do, Thanks

Thread Information