Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day!

Bad Day!

Today I was riding my 2001 xlt and everything was going great. I just installed a ppk and intake grate. Ran 60-62 on speedo, consistantly. About 30 min into the ride motor just died, like the lanyard came off. Tried the start button, nothing at all, thought battery cam loose. Check it all was good. pulled the seat over the motor and as soon as i took it off i new the problem. I am another victom of the third card oil line coming off! pulled the third plug and it was whitish, but was wet, smelled of gas. Pulled the others and they looked okay. No warning on display.
    Limp back to launch (barely over idol). While limping back it kept dieing, but would start right back up? Got on trailer and to the house. Compression tested it and sure enough 0 in third cylinder. front two 125 both. I think they are okay. SO now I guess im in for a rebuild! Let me know what yall think and tell me where to start. Im not very mechanically inclined but i can usually figure things out.
    With that said if yall think I need a new cylinder, does anybody have one? I dont have a bunch of money, so i think i have no choice but to try it my self. And yes I will be going premix now!

the distance to the launch was probably 1/2 mile, I could see it when it died, so i didnt ride it too long but had no choice at the time.

any ideas on what i should do first?

+1
    Pull the head and inspect the damage

I will do that tonite and post pictures. I have been reading alot about rebuilds and i think i can do it with yalls help!
    Anything I should be careful of when pulling heads off? gaskets to save/replace etc. I am a newbie and dont want to make too many rookie mistakes.

Think i can have it fixed by labor day? Hopefully!

+1
    The rebuild shouldnt be too bad depending on how badly damaged that cyl and piston are. Depending on the damage you may want someone to inspect the crank. Take your time and pay attention to how it comes apart. I would replace the gaskets.

Where are you located? This may give those around you a change to better help you out.

heads off

what is the easiest way to pull the heads off i have the bolts out but the head wont move.
    NVM I missed a bolt no wonder!

Judgement time

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd cylinder toward pv.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	758.2 KB 
ID:	145402

Name:	3rd fully compressed.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	926.7 KB 
ID:	145403

Name:	middle.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	145404

Top two are of 3rd. last picture of middle. Didnt get a picture of front but it looks same as middle. 3rd is obviously gone. What now? I'm a newbie remember, i need baby steps.
    I couldnt get the stinger to come out from the rear/water box section so i'll tackle that tomorrow. When i get it out I'll examine carbs. Im done for tonite.
    Please let me know what yall think.

BTW I could push each piston down and the others would rotate, i think that means my lower end is ok?

+1
    First off I would definitely replace or send to Millenium for replating. Second you need to find out why the ski is running so lean and fix it so this doesn't happen again.

so lean

My oil line came off #3. I havent gotten the stinger out yet but there is a fair amount of oil in the hull. I will look at carbs and post pictures tonite if i can ever get that dang stinger out!
    Will any 1200 cylinder work? or does it have to be a #3?

Anybody that reads this if you got a #3 cylinder/piston combo w/ pv I need one! pm me with price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information