Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Significant change in OCMS gas cathement

well...i have not posted on here for some time, but now i have an issue that i need help on.

beginning of the season(25 may)...i started off with 49 hours, after each ride i drained about 5-20cc of dark colored gas (sometimes slight white) into a dixie cup and poured that into an empty landshark 12oz bottle.... as of yesterday am and now at 60 hours the bottle was about a 1/3 full......

yesterday i rode hard for about 3 hours (did not drain off the catch can and again today rode hard for 3 hours) after letting the boat cool for about 2 hours i went to drain the catch can.....i was talking and didnt notice the cup was over running...errrrr....poured that into the bottle, repeated....overran again..so now the bottle is full and i have about 8-10 oz in the bottom of the hull....GREAT...so i go to the bar get a whiskey on the rocks, drink it and used that glass to drain the catch can, not only did it fill the glass once it stopped draining with the glass 1/4 full the 2nd time. SOOOOO in two days (6 hours of hard riding) I drained from the catch can 20oz (600cc) of gas vs 4 oz over 3 months so WTF

i did have 1 gal xylene per full tank and the heat index the last 2 days has been 104......... is this much blow by due to the xylene and or heat index OR am i looking at something bigger and worse? my oil level is right where it should be and it still seems to haul ars but speed is down from 70.6 to 68.9 due to the temps and humidity.....

What was the fluid coming out of the "catch can" like? What does oil in motor look like?

David

the fluid is the same color as it has been all season a very dark colored oily-gasoline ....the actual oil still looks like oil, smells like oil has the viscosity of oil......the ocms kit works but i was wondering why sooooo much was drained out over 2 days vs the total season.........

like i asked..... was it due to xylene and temps or am i looking at other issues or is this common in hot humid weather

+1
    Is this the first time you used the Xylene?

sounds suspect....i would empty catch can and go run a tank of "high test" and see what is caught in catch can. Wouldn't make any rash decisions based on what you have told us.

David

i used 1gal xylene per tank of gas to boost 91 to 94 octane the first time i took out out after the timing mod late may and i DID NOT have the same OMG drain the whole cathment can of gas...then i only drained about 20cc but the temps where 78-80 not 104 index...so thats my suspect it now had 91 octane in it but havent taken it out.........

had the ultra at delavan lake wi which only has 89 octane..had a full tank of 93 octane, burned 3/4 tank and added the xylene to bump the 89 to 92 octane (but actually never filled the tank until i got home again with 93octane so actual octane in it the last 2 days was 96......

had my oil level been down i might suspect rings...but it does not appear to be burning oil....havent actually looked at the plugs but i have not had indication of plug fowling

if i get the same large amount from the cathment can on 91 oct then the next step is: check plugs? do a compression check?

had this NOT happened with 4 weeks to go before i take it in for winterization i might of had drained 6-7oz the total season............

not sure if it continues how i can get the dealer to put in 09 piston/rings even though i still have 2 years warranty on it... they back 100 percent ever mod done to it......but we know the gio is a different story.......

when I put on my ocms I get over 10 oz of fluid of light chcolate color. The conditions were rough lake water in which the pump does not hook up all the time. I started to use a 32 oz plastic bottle to catch the fluid. After couple rides, I start to get the black stuff and the amount of fluid is alot less. I thought it is because I had too much oil at the start and blow alot to the catch can.

For couple months it was all black until yesterday when I went to the ocean and got the light chocolate color stuff. Did you add motor oil recently or change oil?

no i have not changed oil the oil is the same since it was changed in late may....and the oil still looks a ok...

like i have said i have NEVER drained as much as i did yesterday........

i use a bathroom size dixie cup to drain the gas into from may 21 09 thru aug 7th and approximately 20 hours later i had ONLY drained a total of about 4oz of the black oily gas mix

yesterday was a complete OMG where did all of this come from in just 6 hours of riding (2 days 3 hours each) and the total amount drained was close to 20 oz........

SOOOOOOOO something changed to allow that much gas to blow by........

the top of my list is the gal of xylene in the tank and the extreme high ambient temp along with wot

i just want to rule out the rings or OTHER issues....

+1
    no need to worry as everyone catches different amounts all the time there are alot of varibles that will effect the amount you catch.
    sometimes its straight gas
    sometimes its black goo
    sometimes its coffee color
    sometimes its straight oil
    sometimes its a mixture of all
    if you leave it sit long enough in a cup it all seperates.
    leave it be its all normal.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooah_Killer View Post
    had the ultra at delavan lake wi which only has 89 octane..had a full tank of 93 octane, burned 3/4 tank and added the xylene to bump the 89 to 92 octane (but actually never filled the tank until i got home again with 93octane so actual octane in it the last 2 days was 96......
    I wish it was that easy to bump octane. You'll need a 80/20 mix or so. 80 of xylene and 20 of pump gas. I work in the oil industry and i know for a fact your octane wasnt bumped that high from xylene.

I was playing with avatation gas 100LL and 94 pump gas. To reach 97 octane, I was already at 70/30. 70 of avgas and 30 of 94 pump gas. Just isnt that easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information