03 Supercharger Question & Failure

Hi guys, Thanks for this very informative site.

I had my 03 supercharger stop working. The wheel just free spins. After reading all the horror stories about ceramic clutches letting go and ruining engines, I pulled my engine tonight. When I took the supercharger off, the gear just spun on the shaft easily by hand. No washers to be found.

I tore off the front and rear covers of the motor and I can find not a trace of washers anywhere. The square screen in the back was clear, and the round screen in the front had some very tiny metal (magnetic) shards in it. I opened both oil pumps and they look good- not anything alarming there.

Another interesting thing I have learned here is I see in the Seadoo original parts finder, there are no clutch washers shown for the 03, and if I look to buy washers, they are only shown for the 04 on up. Can someone shed some light on this for me?? Did the 03 not use washers and maybe a different drive gear?

Thanks.

Anthony

+1

there is no ceramic washers on the 03, its a collection of spring washers, the 03s are different.
    I think you took your engine out for no reason.

+1
    yep, sorry dude, you jumped the gun there, 04-07 had ceramic washers, the 03 didnt use washers, so when the SC started to slip it basically just got worn out, no catastrophic failure, you should have kept reading, or posted up first
    at least we all now know what we always suspected, 03 SC failure was not catastrophic, and really only needs a SC rebuild, not a full teardown.
    did you check all the oil pump screens?
    probably nothing there, as nothing actual broke, just wore out eventually.
    good new is all you need to do is pull the SC and get it rebuilt, kit is 300 bux rebuild costs 75 and is worth it by jerry of this site, cuz its kinda complicated and he does a ton of them, so it will be done right
    at 50k rpm, you dont want to press in abearing backwards, or pinch a seal.
    OR look in the classifieds and see if you can find a late model SC with an upgrades SC fanblade.
    they can be found for usually less than the cost of rebuild and get you more performance!!!
    good luck.

Well its good that there is no catastrophic damage to the motor. I did many a nights reading on this forum and never came across that the 03 did not have the washers. Actually, I read that the 04 on up had them and I assumed that the 03 had some other sort of washer set-up and when I did not see them I assumed they were inside the motor. Oh well, time to clean the inside of the hull and clean the engine real good. I found a broken motormount anyway. How do I get ahold of the guy that does the rebuilds?

Anthony

Just shoot Jerry (Green Hulk ) a pm he is the one that owns this site , good guy and a quick turn around time , I am always leary of the internet but I saw all the good things that people had to say about Jerry and took the leap of faith , that was a year + ago and I can tell you first hand he is a stand up guy and does excellent work , Jerry has probably done more SCers than anyone else on the planet .

+1
    ahhh,i will take this opportunity to point out the only flaw in greenhulk, the search engine is weak, very hard to search stuff, cuz any word less than 3 letters wont search, so like 03 GTX SC, nada ... red SC nada, you all know our early Sc's were red didnt you
    jerry if you ever see this, is it possible to fix? its not jsut for us 03 GTX SC guys,
    07 RXT??
    RR?
    158?
    131?
    15 psi?
    EGT?
    umi?

+1
    btw motormounts will be a dime a dozen on the classifieds, post up a WTB, there will be new or near new ones for pretty cheep, lots of people swtich to solid front mounts so someone has that one layin around collecting dust!! some huys might have buckets of them!!

Thread Information